First time at the track

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Hey guys first post over here. I'm a member on duramaxforum but seems as if the drag racing scene is a little better over here.

So friday night was the last street legals night at the track for the year. Im hoping to get a built trans this winter so i wanted to see what i could run with the stock trans. My setup and mods are in my sig.

I ran spring clamps and lowered tire pressures to 35 in all 4. Im running hankook dynapro atm's 285/55/20 on 20x9 dick cepeks. I was boosting around 10psi give or take a few. The tree drops way to quick to be watching boost and the tree. My egt's never went above 1450 and i was running a 150hp kory willis trans safe tune. I did 5 runs and never limped the trans.

My 5 runs were all in the 13's. My very first time down a drag strip netted a 13.68 with a 1.96 60'. I knew i could get the 60ft down and by my last run i ran a 13.62 with a 1.81 60'. My top speeds kept getting lower throughout the night but i was netting better overall times.

At the end of the night i had one of the best times of my life. I had several people come talk to me asking what i had done to the truck and yada yada. I was running the fastest times for a diesel and blew the least smoke. I made all my runs with a passeneger so didn't really get to race any cars or other trucks. I am definitely hooked on this drag racing stuff now, i need some better tires and a built trans to see what i can run next year. I surprised myself hitting 13.6's as my goal was only a 13.9.

Heres some pics of my time slips and a little video of one of my runs.

https://youtu.be/qlWNUYX8QKU

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You're running for et. Don't need to watch the tree at all. RT doesn't matter.

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
You're running for et. Don't need to watch the tree at all. RT doesn't matter.

Welcome!

Lol what's that mean? It was Friday night street legals. I wasn't dialing in or anything. Just getting a 1/4 mile time based on when the tree dropped. The faster my 60' was the quicker my 1/4 was

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Lol what's that mean? It was Friday night street legals. I wasn't dialing in or anything. Just getting a 1/4 mile time based on when the tree dropped. The faster my 60' was the quicker my 1/4 was

It means focus on the boost you leave at. Dial in your 60 and forget about the tree.

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
So your saying the clock doesn't start till I leave even if the light is green? I swear the longer I took the leave the higher my 1/4 was.

Correct the time doesn't start till you break the start line. I used to think the same thing lol then I learned when trying to dial in and get my 60' down to hold at the light and build enough boost to get a solid launch. If you spin at the line or don't build enough boost your 60' times could be higher.
What tire pressure we're you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
:welcome3:

The way I was initially instructed to race was to leave the line around 2000-2200 rpm... not really based off boost. I have cut my best 60 times leaving the line around the 2100 mark. this is usually around 11-12psi for those interested in the boost levels.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Correct the time doesn't start till you break the start line. I used to think the same thing lol then I learned when trying to dial in and get my 60' down to hold at the light and build enough boost to get a solid launch. If you spin at the line or don't build enough boost your 60' times could be higher.
What tire pressure we're you running?

Had about 37 psi in all 4. I was launching around 2k rpm, anymore and I would spin and my 60' would drop. I don't have caltracs or t bars just had springs clamped. I'm only on 285/55s too. Idk if you watched the video or not but that's when I cut my 1.81. I spun a little but not a ton.

I'm pretty happy with my results for my very first time at the track. I was more surprised my stock trans held and never limped.

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
Had about 37 psi in all 4. I was launching around 2k rpm, anymore and I would spin and my 60' would drop. I don't have caltracs or t bars just had springs clamped. I'm only on 285/55s too. Idk if you watched the video or not but that's when I cut my 1.81. I spun a little but not a ton.

Drop the tire pressure down a little each time till you find that sweet spot. I also write on the back of all my time slips. (Tire pressure,boost or rpm, track temp etc...) to keep track of what works. I don't remember who gave me that advice but it's awesome it really helps.
The track is an addiction! Hahahaha

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Drop the tire pressure down a little each time till you find that sweet spot. I also write on the back of all my time slips. (Tire pressure,boost or rpm, track temp etc...) to keep track of what works. I don't remember who gave me that advice but it's awesome it really helps.
The track is an addiction! Hahahaha

Lol it definitely is an addiction! I'll start writing stuff down like you said thats a good idea. I plan to grt some new tires next year for the track. Are nitto 420s good for the track? I'm going to get new rims and tires soon so I'll put some 420s on my current rims for the track only.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Put some cheaters on if they're going to be track only

Lb7_Katie

Lb7 Duramax
Sep 8, 2013
420s are good or proxys both are good street tires and hook well.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I've tried looking up slicks and I can't find much. I need like a 305 50 20. 420s are pretty cheap and Ill have my current 20x9s to throw them on once I get some new rims and tires.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Suspension, suspension, suspension. Heavy tires and wheels are not ideal, either.

It becomes even more important to get everything (suspension, tires, start rpm, etc) to work together the faster you get.