first diesel and i'm hosed - cp4 out

Brshan01

Aug 19, 2013
Zimmerman, MN
If you get desperate I have a cp4 with around 70k on it, pay for shipping and it's yours. They didn't want it for a core when I put the cp3 in.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You say the cost of parts is you biggest hurdle. But you turn down the idea of a cp3 conversion. Do you really want to go through this again after putting in a used cp4...

if the pump is from a 2013 or later with lower miles, i wouldnt worry about the CP4. its the pre 2013 stuff you have to worry about.

99mpower

Bear Motorsports
Sep 2, 2016
just had my cp4 take a shit... did cp3 conversion and Y-bridge delete..

I was lucky and didn't need rails/lines/injectors. Just because cp4 ate itself, doesn't always mean u need injectors.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Glad you got lucky ("how?" is something else entirely), but 99% of the time the whole system is trashed.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
if the pump is from a 2013 or later with lower miles, i wouldnt worry about the CP4. its the pre 2013 stuff you have to worry about.

Exactly, I havent heard of a single failure on a 14 or newer. Bosch redesigned the metering valve (coated it), this was the problem. It would start to come apart slowly and contaminate the entire fuel system with tiny metal shavings from said valve...

The VAST majority of the time it happens bc of bad fuel, water in fuel, but running them below desired rp alot can do it too...

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
All high pressure lines need to be replaced

No they don't, I clean the rails and lines in my ultrasonic machine .....I've fixed many cp4 failures and never replaced them...most high end machine shops have these machines

drperry

Jan 4, 2015
I got lucky with mine, and I was just starting to show evidence of metal on the FPR... Just wouldn't build fuel pressure after checking the FPR... If possible, check/test your injectors.

But do yourself a favor, and convert to a CP3. There's been 2014+ CP4's shitting the bed up here. Possibly due to more extreme temperature swings causing more condensation in the fuel.

Also, install a lift pump. Your fuel tank is likely contaminated with metal.

Mine died on Thursday, lol. Even without proper tuning, the CP3 is running circles around my CP4.

I was 11 days out of warranty and 300km out of extended warranty, lol.

jbmotorsports

Oct 13, 2016
yes, CP3's die. its not like they are bullet proof. the newer CP4's follow along the same path as them

thank you. do you happen to know if it was a different part number? Also, any leads on where to get one? I am a big fan of not putting extra stuff on if not needed. From my limited reading it sounds like the re-designed cp4 fixed the flaws.