LLY: Finally tore it down

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I finally got the engine out and torn down. #4 piston was the problem. Wasn't caused by a valve failure as I had speculated. Judging from the looks of the other 7 pistons the used 90hp injectors I was running were no where near balance. They are off for testing and to be made into 100% over injectors right now and I'll be having them tested in every way I can before they go in my built motor. Block is trashed and will now be retired to be used as a jig for making custom stuff around the shop. The piston also tore up the head pretty bad.

It's amazing that it was still running with only 7 pistons and it never threw a code.

Something's missing:
P1030202.jpg

There it is:
P1030204.jpg

The head:
P1030210.jpg

The other bank - you can see that #1 was getting more fuel than #5 and #7, it is covered in soot while the other 2 are clean.
P1030207.jpg

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Dayyyumm!!!! I would be having a talk with whoever you got those injectors through. Looks like 6 and 8 have been getting washed for a while also:eek:

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Oil got on everything from running it without a piston, there was oil coming up into the intake runner, which was then getting in with the other cylinders on that bank. But yeah it's obvious there was very uneven flow from one injector to another.

I got the injectors used, paid $9 to ship the guy my stock injectors - can't really call him about the issue. They were supposed to be 90hp Dynomite Diesel injectors but who knows; IIRC Pat had vouched for the guy that the injectors were what he said and all. It was gonna happen eventually anyway so I'm not worried about why it happened now.

Good thing is I already have a block and planned on this one being trashed all along.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
I should have had them flow tested before installing them, but like I said I was going to push the motor hard enough to blow it - it just happened sooner than later. I had dual CP3s ready to go on when it let go so even with a balanced set of injectors I would have pushed it too far and blown it up.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I know alot of people that run non-flowed injectors. Its hard to find a shop that will test them to 190mpa. I dont know of any, and if you found one it would cost an arm and a leg.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
wowzers, i would love to have been there when you took the head off just to see your face lol.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I think Guy puts like a 2600us fuel shot through the ones he does doesnt he?

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
wow , it blew that piston into aloooot of peices . i assume it started out as a crack ? , i will be curious the see if you shortend any of your rods dustin ?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Youd have to talk to him about that. He is doing my injectors to 55% over I beleive, and flow testing them at full pressure and flow to within 1% I beleive it is.

Call and talk to him - Guy - 1-661-775-5620

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I guess I missed the story. What happened? (for all the smartasses, I can see the piston was chewed up to giblits.)

Last edited:

SledMax

Jul 31, 2008
Thats bad but a friend of mine blew one at 80 mph runnin from the cops, it was #8 piston and it snapped the crank off and broke the back of the block too.. His piston was in pieces at bottom of the oil pan just like that and there was a groove in the cylinder wall from the wrist pin gouging on both sides... No the cops didnt catch him either