Question: Filtered vs Non-Filtered Lift Pumps

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Any difference in performance between the two setups?

An AirDog/Fass type setup vs. a Kennedy/PPE/Raptor etc?

If you change the regular fuel filter regularly, why have another filter to replace?

Any merit to the "Removal of air bubbles from fuel" that AirDog claims??

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Details....lol.

So basically you would never have to replace the stock filter? Since the Fass/Airdog would hold all those particles anyway?

Why is the fuel filter in the Fass/Airdog system so much better than the stock filter location?

Redbone

but this one goes to 11
May 1, 2008
Indy, IN
The original OEM filter, P/N TP1298A, was a single pleat filter with a 5-7 micron rating. This was later replaced with the dual pleat TP1298B with a 2 micron rating.

The AirDog filters are made by Fleetguard. The filter crosses to Fleetguard P/N FF5617, which is a 10 micron filter. They have a FF5613 which is a 5 micron filter.

Basically the Airdog provides some prefiltration of the larger particles to extend the service interval of the pain-in-the-neck to change factory piece.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I run a cheap aux. 2 micron fiter and filter head from perma-cool between my raptor and factory filter. Jegs, something like 35.00 Many CAT filters spin up to it also.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Details....lol.

So basically you would never have to replace the stock filter? Since the Fass/Airdog would hold all those particles anyway?

Why is the fuel filter in the Fass/Airdog system so much better than the stock filter location?

it increases the life service interval of the stock filter:) Stock filter is 2 micron

Have you not noticed how fun it is to swap stock filters:D Compared to one on the frame

You will never hear" My fuel is to darn clean";)

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I think its super easy to change the stock filter.

I just popped out the tabs on the fender liner at the top and left the others, so when i go to change my filter, i just pull the top of the liner down and its right there.

TannerJP

Trying to blow stuff up.
Dec 4, 2008
Houston, Tx
The extra fuel filter seems to be a good thought. So does the accumulator.
I'm still debating between an Air Dog or another setup.

i thought it was tough change the factory filter until my uncle showed me a simple trick.

you get some flat, 1/2in wide, nylon rope and tie it in a loop. To size the loop, tie it up around the filter where you can hold about 3 inches of slack from the loop out to the side.

Then you take a 6-inch extension and twist it up in the loop until its pretty tight, but not so tight you can't spin it.
Leverage the end of the extension against the filter and use it just like a filter wrench.
I have not had trouble loosening or tightening one since and i carry that loop of rope in the door map pocket.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
my airdogg filters say 2micron on them
The original OEM filter, P/N TP1298A, was a single pleat filter with a 5-7 micron rating. This was later replaced with the dual pleat TP1298B with a 2 micron rating.

The AirDog filters are made by Fleetguard. The filter crosses to Fleetguard P/N FF5617, which is a 10 micron filter. They have a FF5613 which is a 5 micron filter.

Basically the Airdog provides some prefiltration of the larger particles to extend the service interval of the pain-in-the-neck to change factory piece.

TannerJP

Trying to blow stuff up.
Dec 4, 2008
Houston, Tx
whatever the case actually is, it would make more sense to have a larger micron preceding a smaller micron... or two of the same inline.