Filter head rebuild or replace

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
So my filter head is leaking. Looks mostly around the primer pump. I know I've read about people rebuilding them to only have them still leak. Rebuild looks pretty straight forward to me and I kinda assume wrong/faulty orings used or install error. I only want to do the job once so my question is should I rebuild it or get all new. I would rather rebuild it and save money but if you guys say rebuilding is hit or miss I might buy the whole thing. Is there a name brand rebuild kit I should use?

Thanks

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
So my filter head is leaking. Looks mostly around the primer pump. I know I've read about people rebuilding them to only have them still leak. Rebuild looks pretty straight forward to me and I kinda assume wrong/faulty orings used or install error. I only want to do the job once so my question is should I rebuild it or get all new. I would rather rebuild it and save money but if you guys say rebuilding is hit or miss I might buy the whole thing. Is there a name brand rebuild kit I should use?

Thanks
If your due for a filter just buy the entire assembly with filter.

Then you can keep your other one as a spare.
And you can rebuild it later. I usually use Dorman kits and haven't had an issue with them yet.

Sent from my Note 9

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
Sucks that the 01-04 filter head is 450 and the 04-10 is only 110. The only difference is the angle of the lines? Seems like a scam from GM

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I found a Parker with the LB7 line angles for a reasonable price a while back. Replaced the LBZ+ filter head that was on my Suburban with the LB7 version and new lines. Makes it look a lot nicer when things line up.

Alternatively, you can get the newer model and a lift block that lets the lines attach without kinking pretty cheap. But I'll try and find the part number & supplier I used.

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
Awesome thanks for the links. Would I be rite in guessing the GM one is a rebadged parker? For 100 bucks with a filter that's a pretty good deal

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I rebuilt mine with merchant auto kit for 20.00 no leaks as long as you take your time and lube the orings like Eric says in the youtube video you'll be fine thats what I did:thumb:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sucks that the 01-04 filter head is 450 and the 04-10 is only 110. The only difference is the angle of the lines? Seems like a scam from GM

I was able to twist the metal lines to point in the right direction. They are just pressed in