Filled Block w/ Stock Heads?

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Has anyone ran a dry/filled block along with running factory aluminum casting heads? It would be in a pulling engine so would not have much run time except a few minutes going down the track.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Lots of pullers ran filled block with stock heads. Knock the freeze plugs out of the back of your heads and circulate water thru them. Wont even need much of a radiator, maybe none at all. You could cut the thermostat housing legs off and tig AN fittings to them to plumb it all.
You dont see it much anymore with the solid head from wagler but it definitely has worked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I knew you would be the one to know! Would I have to run water through the heads is my biggest question? Currently still run a valley mount charger so would have to run a remote mount with forward facing manifolds so didn’t have up pipes in the way of the coolant ports on back of the heads. Was just wanting to do away with coolant completely to keep it simple, just didn’t know how heat transfer would be on an aluminum head that was dry and only ran hard for a pass. I could see bigger chance for warpage. They’re proud of those cast iron heads!! $$$$$

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I'm not sure how they would hold up dry but personally I would try it. I'd probably have a spare set decked and ready to swap valves and springs onto too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Talks about filled block stock heads and electric water pumps, heads failed. I've been eyeballing those cast iron heads...waiting to hit the lottery .