fast downpipe removal

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
It only took 10 min AND I had a beer :rofl:

Actually used wrenches to get an idea of the real thing. Hats off to those who've done it in the truck :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCN3824.jpg
    DSCN3824.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 283

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
oh god was just looking at them.....

I feel its gonna alot longer than that and alot more beer....

Did you cuss at least??

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I got a snap on 12mm wrench it seemed good. The bottom one between the up pipes looks tough. Two nuts are 14mm.

I said sh*t when fingers got soot :spit:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Actually used wrenches to get an idea of the real thing
:rofl: Thats funny!!

Yea well I built a 3.5" pipe of my own and installed it back there without removing the heat shield :eek: :rofl:

Ok so being an LBZ with 1 bolt does help (thank God)... seriously I think it took as long to remove the stock one as it did for me to build a new one...

Not a fun place to do anything :mad:

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
Ya thank God for the easy LBZ down pipe:D. Remove heat shield pull to the top as high as it will go then drop down pipe, drop heat shield then install new one:thumb:

1953drtelco

Feb 24, 2010
Riverside, CA
I had my truck on a lift, and with help from a buddy it still took a couple of hours. We replaced his downpipe the next weekend and was able to cut the time in half....I guess we learned a few tricks doing mine the first weekend....both trucks were LLY's so a bit easier than some.

cole30

Sep 21, 2009
Just take the old smoke wrench to them so much easier!!:thumb: Dont ask me how I know!

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
Well on my Lmm i took up pipe off as well to do a egr delete and it took about 2 hours to remove both.. The stupid dipstick wouldn't come out it took for ever to wiggle it free ..I cut the egr part off and im gonna bolt it back on so it looks as if it is working..I could NOT get the egr plate to seal off ..What did you do to make it so fast.. Im all ears literally :coolspot:..

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Why is it taking you LLY/LBZ guys so long to swap downpipes? LB7 guys have it way worse

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I had a hell of a time getting the old one out. That took all of my time. The new one slid in super easy. I couldn't contort(sp?) my damn hand to get the dipstick bolts. Playing around with those took some time also. If I did another one, it would go a lot faster.

I figured the easiest way was to unbolt the cab and jack that ****er up to give me a wide open area to pull the old one out. Those damn tabs kept getting hung up on stuff. It worked out but i'd jack the cab on the next one just for some room.