LB7: Failing Injectors?

jbstephenson

wishin'
Jul 29, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Bought the truck knowing the injectors were going to have to be replaced, but I think that time has finally come. It's blowing white/gray smoke at idle and under heavy acceleration. I have a tuner and now instead of blowing coal its blowing white/gray smoke. I attached some pictures of the injectors reading from my truck. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_4780.jpg
    IMG_4780.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4779.jpg
    IMG_4779.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 32

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
+-4 in park and +-6 in drive are in spec but that's only part of the picture,need to check return rates as well.Check out Ferminator's post about lb7 injectors and for god's sake don't change 1 out at a time like I did.You WILL regret it!:thumb:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Just because the balance rates aren't that bad doesn't mean you don't still need new injectors. Balance rates don't tell the whole story. smoke like that at idle is most certainly bad injectors.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Agreed, balance rates are almost useless. Check the return rates.

Making oil?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jbstephenson

wishin'
Jul 29, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Got in the truck later in the day out of need to drive somewhere. Started fine, ran fine, absolutely no smoke at idle and the exhaust didn't smell like raw diesel so i don't know whats going on. I'm going to check the return rates later this week when i've got some free time

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
with higher return rates you usually have an extended crank time when hot or even cold if they are bad enough. there's internal wear that cause the injector to leak fuel into the cylinder when its not firing and that where the smoke comes from.