exhaust in cab, exhaust cloud at idle/load

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
Fort Worth, Republic of Texas
Whenever our truck is idling, the cab is overwhelmed with exhaust/diesel smell. Exhaust leak maybe?

Also, the smoking at speed, no load, warmed up is still minimal-to-none. But at cold off-idle in gear/driving it looks like a locomotive with like a blueish-whitish combination smoke just pouring out the tailpipe, and same under load going down the highway- we picked out our 32 x 7.5 x 8.5 ft cargomate today, and it smokes pretty good even with tow-haul on. And when you first get on it after more than a minute idling, it'll smoke pretty good again but clear out pretty quick.

It's like there is something pooling up at idle and under load. The fuel injectors have 40,000 on them we know they are due (a friend quoted $1,000 labor over 2 days plus parts), which i know makes white smoke, though i'm not really sure on why it's white? The blue smoke has to be oil, but where could it be coming in from? My only thought is maybe a degraded seal in the turbo, allowing oil to leak from the turbo oil supply?

Basically the only time it DOESNT smoke is while moving, no/minimal load (40-50 mph no trailer), warmed up. Which I have come to establish is about 3-5psi of boost. At idle the needle is stuck against the zero peg, telling me the manifold is under vacuum, and towing is around 15psi cruising and 22 at significant throttle.

We've checked the oil and it's just above the bottom of the head of the dip stick, the top of the last valley. We assume that to be the full position? There's nothing to explain otherwise.

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
mine had bad exhaust smell and I had a loose pedestal bolt, a blown drivers side up pipe bellow, and a loose downpipe...all thanks to the previous owner :hug:. It is a possibility that your blue is from a bad turbo seal, and it also sounds like your injectors are on their way out as well.

My truck was pretty loud with all of those exhaust leaks, how is yours?

magnethead494

go fast crew chief
Dec 29, 2013
Fort Worth, Republic of Texas
ours isn't terribly loud at all. How loose is loose before they leak? I don't hear any rattlings from underneath like I do on my dakota (lots of loose components underneath) so there can't be anything too terribly loose.

what is it about bad injectors that makes the exhaust white?

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
my 03 had the same issues. Would smell exhaust in cab sometimes. Figured it was exhaust leak somewhere. Then it would have a poof of greyish smoke at startup and extended cranking time. Come to find out injectors were returning to much fuel back to tank. Changed them out and within two weeks truck would pour out greyish smoke like crazy for about 5 minutes idling. Motor hydrolocked because head gaskets went out.

Last edited:

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
When i pulled motor out for rebuild i never saw any signs of a exhaust leak on motor. But did see where head gaskets were leaking anti-freeze out between block and head. Figured that exhaust smell in cab was actually antifreeze burning off the motor.