Exessive blow by help!

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
So i just picked up an lb7 with 220k miles all stock. it has exessive blow by where you can see it during the day. No tailpipe smoke at all and still runs strong. I just had a compression test done on it and came back lowest at 662 and higheat at 670! Is this correct? Ive been reading the min is 300 and everyone seems to be at mid 400s. Previous owner said it got a new turbo a few years ago and the injectors were done right after 100k. No fuel or coolant in oil.Stumped on what the blow by could be shop says maybe valves.?? Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Compression test was not done properly... healthy is 400ish.

How much blow by are you getting out of the oil filler neck with the cap off?

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
Yeah thats what i was guessing. You can see it pretty good from the filler neck as well just enough to make the cap dance a bit but not fall off when upsidedown.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Those numbers are way high. Not sure what or how the compression test was done though. Valve guides and seal could be the culprit for blow by ....could be rings as well. Depends on how the truck was used or abused

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
The truck was pretty much just used on occasion to pull a 5th wheel and took it easy the rest of the time. I got it from a neighbor an old guy and he put 70k miles on it it 8.5 years. If it was the rings wouldn't it smoke out the exhaust? Sorry for the newbie questions im kinda new to diesel.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Check and make sure you PCV hose or PCV reroute hose isn't plugged, that could cause blowby. Not sure why you have 600+ psi for compression test but somethin's wrong with that reading. I suspect injectors are bad, leaking fuel during compression test. Is the crankcase oil diluted with diesel?

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
Pcv hoses were the first thing i checked and replaced the valve all good. No fuel in oil. It is still pretty thick/normal viscosity. I noticed at hwy driving oil psi is above 60psi like 70 maybe and at idle about 30ish.

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
From the filler and the vent on passenger side on engine its a steady puff puff puff whitish smoke. I noticed the passenger valve cover leaking quite a bit also could this have anything to do with the blow by if the engine isnt completely sealed properly?

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
Unfortunately im on the other side of texas from van :-( im way far far west texas.. im guessing they did it taking one gp out at a time instead of all of them.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Mine had blowby and quit, guessing valve seals got hot on mine, weird but it quit.

If yours is puffing it's probly a single cylinder that is washed or bad rings, someone correct me if I'm wrong but could be a bad set of valve guides or seals on a single cylinder making the cover leak and the puff as well?

ws6woody

Mar 15, 2016
TEXAS
Ok i finally spoke to the tech that worked on the trk the guy i spoke to didnt know shit jst read notes lol. so the 600 numbers were the cylinder output from the gm scan tool. He never did a compression test so being that they are that close together and efficient i can rule out rings. He is stating maybe oil seals on turbo or valve stem seals. Tuesday he will do a leak down and compression test on it ill update then. Thanks fellas