LMM: Ever Seen a New Engine Do This?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Am I the only one who finds the "comments" from oil annalist a bit concerning?

First sentence states: Silicon (Si) is high. SiC is the primary make up of TBC..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_carbide

Chemical breakdown of modern ceramic piston coatings found in a PDF listed here.
https://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JSTR/article/view/25396

Do you have any new pics of the piston tops after removed?

I ask, because last night I just pulled heads on my first engine with 15 dyno pulls, TBC is chipping... And,I personally wouldn't trust Mahle to analyze my hair color.

Mahle is also the same ones who make sub grade rings and claims them the same as "factory" with the 41909. ive got a thread in here about calling them out on that and have WAY too big of ring gaps. After i sent their shit back to them and they ran their "tests", they claim it all was in spec. i hound the hell out of them explaining what a stock ring gap from factory should be and so, they had no answer. I dont buy their rings anymore but the 42160 is the one required for these engines at min.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Mahle is also the same ones who make sub grade rings and claims them the same as "factory"

They put the wrong size top ring land in one piston of the first couple sets of Dmax race ever cast. I won that prize back in 2010.

Point is, don't throw your engine builder under a bus based on what those guys say alone.

Once had a very astound engine machinist refuse to bore a Dmax block because he didn't have the proper "diamond tipped" hone called for in his tool book. Took it to another a well known BIG shop in Columbus OH, who said sure we have that tool. Upon completion I ask to see this diamond hone, to which the tech says, "What are you talking about, I used same hone as I do on all other engines." That engine was fine, and still together today.

So is why I seriously doubt a bad hone job could cause the degree of damage you've shown. Any more than a carbon ring build up would. There is some useful info in their report, but lacks clarity and doesn't jive with the oil annalist.. Just as likely the last line, "One piston ring or several piston rings are defective"