Help: error code Poo87

mikesed

Sep 3, 2013
My chip reader gives Code P0087; low fuel pressure at fuel rail.
Started having trouble last August with this code on my 2007 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax (currently has 100,347 miles on it) when towing 5th wheel trailer and boat that I estimate the load is approximately 20,000 pounds and only occurs when air temperature exceeds 90 degrees, below that no problems under the same towing/road conditions. Transmission and engine temperature were both at 195 degrees. There is a mountain pass here that is 8 miles long and has 3 to 12 percent inclines and I can pull easily and run at 60mph if I want to, truck doesn't lack power for sure.
Last August I took the truck to our local Chevy dealer and they found no problems (other than the code was there) but replaced one of the fuel rail sensors that they said sometimes causes this code. Unfortunately I didn't pull this type of load or under these conditions until a week ago. This was while traversing prairie conditions with rolling hills probably none that are over 8% inclines. They now say that I have 3 fuel injectors that are tits up and 2 that are iffy, was quoted $6,660 to replace all 8 of them! In essence they claim that I'm only running on 3 cylinders but there is no difference in power than before, engine runs/idles smooth, no black smoke, good fuel mileage (18.4mpg @75mph), etc. I plan on taking it to another diesel shop for a second opinion but before I do can anyone offer some advice? I feel that I'm getting screwed.
Several people said to put Sea Foam diesel additive in but several others said that they have had engines blow up using it. I run the Ac Delco recommended fuel filters (8 micron filtration) but one shop said that I should be using a 2 micron filter and that I should install a high pressure fuel pump ($800 installed) as this will cure any low pressure fuel problems. Although I don't use diesel fuel additive in every tank but I do use Power Kleen additive about every 3rd tank. Also read that a lot of people recommend using CAT filters along with a water trap.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Check the fuel hoses coming fromt he tank, just ran into this on two LMM's, A lift pump will help this suituation as what is happening is the fuel line is colapsing and cause low fuel pressure/flow. it could be something else but i bet thats whats it is by what you described. where are you located?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
And if you did have bad injectors you could get them replaced alot cheaper then 6600.00 that is really really high.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Are you running any tunes or chip? Do you know how they tested the injectors or came to the conclusion that some are bad? Injectors aren't under the valve covers so I don't know why they'd want to replace all 8? Their price is ridiculous, you can get 8 brand new injectors (not reman or refurbished) for under $3000 and couldn't see it taking much longer than a few hours to swap them.