Erratic shifting at times

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
My trans seems to have a mind of its own. Shifting will be fine somedays but then others I can't even stand to drive it. 4-3 downshifts sometimes are extremely hard. On my edge insight I watched it go from 5-4-n-2 then complete stop and lurches forward and downshifts to 1st. Also likes to rev up I between gears sometimes. Resetting the taps seems to work but is it safe to do it multiple times a week or even day? I read reflashing the TCM can help. True? I have a autocal I can try and do that with but where do I get the file? Does the dealership charge for this? Hate to throw money at it with just a guess. I have a fuel filter i will be putting on

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It could be in your tuning or anything like fuel filter, leaking up pipe, boost leak etc. The tranny uses projected values gathered from " learning* to make the next shift. If anything that effects that being replicated causes harsh or erratic shifts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Usually it does it when trans is warm. I replaced the Allison filter and it was good for a few months then started acting up again. Ill check fluid but it was all just replaced when my tail housing cracked. For got to add that.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Usually it does it when trans is warm. I replaced the Allison filter and it was good for a few months then started acting up again. Ill check fluid but it was all just replaced when my tail housing cracked. For got to add that.

Was the tail housing replaced while the trans was still in the truck? :eek:

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
What exactly happens when you don't take it out? I would be nice for it to grenande then get a free trans. But we all know that's not how the world works and they would blame it on something else.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
What exactly happens when you don't take it out? I would be nice for it to grenande then get a free trans. But we all know that's not how the world works and they would blame it on something else.

x2 Not just with mechanics, but everyone now days just needs to own up to there mistakes...