Erratic line pressure

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
This trans is in an 02 4x4, suncoast converter and GMAC 5-3 kit. The trans was working fine until it ate the flex plate, (no alignment dowels). Flex plate replaced along with dowels. The trans will only shift sometimes and has the following codes

P0841
P1711
P1713

When I put a pressure gauge on it, it initially had zero pressure. Raise the RPMs and the psi will shoot up to around 210-220 and you can hear a whining sound, like a bad power steering pump. Sometimes the psi will hold and the truck will shift other times the psi drops and it won't do anything, most of the time no psi unless I raise the rpms.

All the shift solenoids are new along with the NSBU switch. I even swapped TCMs to rule that out. Checked all the normal stuff, grounds, fluid level, no leaks, etc. Thanks.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This trans is in an 02 4x4, suncoast converter and GMAC 5-3 kit. The trans was working fine until it ate the flex plate, (no alignment dowels). Flex plate replaced along with dowels. The trans will only shift sometimes and has the following codes

P0841
P1711
P1713

When I put a pressure gauge on it, it initially had zero pressure. Raise the RPMs and the psi will shoot up to around 210-220 and you can hear a whining sound, like a bad power steering pump. Sometimes the psi will hold and the truck will shift other times the psi drops and it won't do anything, most of the time no psi unless I raise the rpms.

All the shift solenoids are new along with the NSBU switch. I even swapped TCMs to rule that out. Checked all the normal stuff, grounds, fluid level, no leaks, etc. Thanks.

Fire the idiot that put it together. Your pump is probably trash.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Ok, I have the pump out what am I looking for to tell if it is bad? The separator plate has some wear marks on it and so do the gears.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Pics.

Attachments

• pump plate1.jpg
    pump plate1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 78
  • plate 2.jpg
    plate 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 74
  • gears.jpg
    gears.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 79
  • pump housing.jpg
    pump housing.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 71
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 73

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
The filter was new.

Attachments

• filter o ring.jpg
    filter o ring.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 67
  • suction port.jpg
    suction port.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 65

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The pump shows a lot of wear and I would not use it. That could be the cause of your noise but it shouldn't cause the pressure problem you are having from what I see. Check for rips in both bell housing gaskets also.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
I will check the gaskets, the sump filter looked clean inside. I have new pump on the way. Anything else I need to check while I have it apart? Thanks.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I had a brand new filter cause loss of pressure this weekend on a new build but only when the fluid was hot, and during all operation it would flare shifts etc. Took about 10 miles to finally get bad enough that it lost all suction...swapped in another filter and it shifted like butter! Just one of a few new ones for the notebook this weekend!

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
I had a brand new filter cause loss of pressure this weekend on a new build but only when the fluid was hot, and during all operation it would flare shifts etc. Took about 10 miles to finally get bad enough that it lost all suction...swapped in another filter and it shifted like butter! Just one of a few new ones for the notebook this weekend!

Wow, good find on that one......it would have taken me a while to suspect a brand new part being bad.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Wow, good find on that one......it would have taken me a while to suspect a brand new part being bad.

Only so many things can cause low pressure and the internal filter is the simplest and easiest place to start. It's not uncommon for brand new parts to be bad and internal filters are one of them.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

Well it wasn't difficult on this one because it was a brand new pump...yup, I had a stock 6sp with a shattered pump drive gear...pretty cool...but it was crazy because the last time I had a bad filter was 2 yrs ago on my own trans and it didnt build enough pressure right after the install to even engage at all. Thought I had done something wrong. This one was slightly different in it's symptoms.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
P1713

New pump, new filter, line pressure problem solved.

Now I have a P1713 (Trans pressure switch, reverse circuit) problem. When I put it in reverse it commands reverse and then 1-2 seconds later it actually goes into reverse and the shift indicator starts flashing. Shift into drive and it goes straight to third (limp I assume).

I can clear the codes while in park vehicle running, for a split second I can hear a whine, pressure gauge flicks, and code comes back. Pressure switch bad??? Thanks.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Check the o ring on your pressure switch manifold. It will be the one all by itself on the end.