engine noise after tune

awsmv6

May 18, 2014
Hello I am new to the forum I have a 2008 Silverado with the Duramax. The truck is completely stock except I just recently purchased a tuner. I am happy with the millage and power gain so far. The only thing I am not thrilled about is until the truck gets to about 160 degrees it is noisy ( clatters like it is an older diesel ). I talked to the manufacturer and they said this happens on about 10 percent of the trucks they tune. Is this a problem I should be worried about or is it fairly normal. I do not want to list the programmer. Thanks
Andy

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Bump for ya

Name of the tuner you have installed, and if that is case I would not use that "tuner" and send it back and save for EFI. How do you know you are not doing any damage, engines and transmissions for these trucks are expensive.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
It sounds like your tuner isn't adjusting the coolant modifier tables properly. You might want to go with a different tuner, or harass the current tuner to make it work right.

There is no reason the truck can't run right with a tune. Heck, I have a 73mm turbo and +60% injectors and mine runs great cold with no noise.

That all being said, if the rattle isn't overly loud, it probably isn't doing any damage, especially if you stay out of the throttle until it is warm. However, I would personally find that unacceptable, because what if you need to use more than 1/3 throttle before the truck is warm? I don't want to have to drive around my tune, I want my tune to support the way I drive.

awsmv6

May 18, 2014
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Dave. That is pretty much what I was thinking but I did not know enough about the programmers to know if a little more of a Diesel noise after reprogramming was normal or not on these motors.

awsmv6

May 18, 2014
Thanks again

I have talked to them and they are trying to resolve the problem if they cant they have offered a full refund. I did not list the programmer because I did not feel it was necessary to get my question answered and did not want to see it turn into a bashing session as I have seen on forums. Thanks again, Andy