Engine is about ready to go back in - More ?s

Sep 19, 2012
A quick update first.

I decided to go with essentially a factory rebuild w/ de-lipped LB7 pistons. After reading through the threads here I decided I couldn't realistically (financially) get to my HP goals AND still be able to to tow 20k pounds reliably. Felt like I'd be chasing my tail down a financial rabbit hole that would have lead to divorce :rolleyes:

Here is what the machine shop is doing:

Mahle Pistons and Rings
Engine Kit (Includes: Clevite Rod & Main Bearings,
Dart Cam bearings, Melling Oil Pump,Gaskets)
Arp Rod Bolts
Arp Head Studs
Sbi Guides

Jet Clean Parts
Install Bronze Guides
Delip Pistons
Bore & Hone Block
Resize Rods/Ck-Hone Rods
Assemble Rods & Pistons
Valve Job
Balancing
Key Crank & Cam
Magnaflux / Crank
Mill Heads
Deck Block
Install Cam Bearings
File Fit Rings
Check/Adjust Line Hone
Assemble Long Block

In addition to the engine stuff I'm doing a turbo back exhaust, adding an external oil cooler, a CTS2 to monitor everything, a PCV reroute and an EGR Blocker plate (I still might need emissions so I didn't want to delete it altogether)

My questions are:

-Is there any seals/hoses in around the engine that are easier to address while the engine is out? I'm going to replace some of the rubber fuel hose on the injection side of things. Can I reuse the return fuel lines?
-I'm going to use a parts washer to clean up as much as I can like the Y bridge, exhaust manifolds, oil cooler, etc. Can I clean the turbo the same way or is there seals, etc that washer fluid could ruin?
-Anything else I'm not thinking of?

What is a good break-in procedure to do before I tow anything?

Thanks again for all the help!

Casey

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
What happened to the eng in the first place ? Were the injector rates all good ? If not it might be a good time to send them to Brent for a check up , rather than blow a hole in those nice new pistons !

Sep 19, 2012
Good news on the rods , what was the max the shop said they would take off the heads ? How long ago did you do the water pump & housing , t stats belts etc ? I am sure you flushed the cooling stack .
I flushed the stack maybe a year ago. I'll probably do it again before assembly. I didn't ask about what they take off the heads. They've done a few dmax's so hopefully they're on it. I did the belt, water pump, and housing last summer. Didn't do T-stats so I should probably do those.

I sent the injectors to a place in California for rebuild. They had great reviews so we'll see. The injectors had good rates when I had a friend check back in April. I know with the CTS2 I'll be able to monitor them as well.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
There are many of us hoping and or praying that your builder checked piston protrusion , that is why I asked about the amount taken off heads ! You seem like a great guy trying to do things right but on a tight budget ! Good luck on the eng build !

Sep 19, 2012
There are many of us hoping and or praying that your builder checked piston protrusion , that is why I asked about the amount taken off heads ! You seem like a great guy trying to do things right but on a tight budget ! Good luck on the eng build !

I'll ask. They're a reputable builder that has done a few dmax's here in AZ. Would piston protrusion be something common amongst most types of engines that a builder would check doing a long block assembly? Depending on what protrusion is it dictates the head gasket thickness correct?

Any feedback on engine break-in procedures?

Thanks,

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Duramax heads are totally flat on the deck surface, so milling them will not have any affect on compression. Did you go with Mahle Motorsport pistons or the LB7/LLY style stock Mahle pistons? If you did the stock style and it isn't too late, I would go ahead and upgrade to the Mahle Motorsport pistons. They aren't that much more money and a much better piston.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Milling the heads dose have an affect on integrity thats why SOCAL and others do not like to take much more than 3.5 tho off heads and the reason I asked how much the machine shop was removing was to see if they said something like , we might only take off 10 or 15 tho what ever it needs ! That would be a big red flag ! And what is removed from the deck is also very important ! My only cause for concern was the statement that , they built a couple Duramaxes !

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That isn’t what this post sounded like you were saying.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

The amount taken off the heads does not matter as long as valve recession is maintained in spec or adjusted to be in spec after the heads are decked. Sure, if they take boat loads off the heads you could see a glow plug to piston issue but I do not know how close that is off the top of my head.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
The amount taken off the heads does not matter as long as valve recession is maintained in spec or adjusted to be in spec after the heads are decked. Sure, if they take boat loads off the heads you could see a glow plug to piston issue but I do not know how close that is off the top of my head.
The piston protrusion was referring to post #11. What is the most you have taken off any of your D Max heads ?