Engine Balancing

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Hey guys, I got a quick question. I just got Crower Rods in from Trippin yesterday. The shop asked wether or not I wanted to have everything balanced....What do you guys think? I'm keeping my stock pistons in there, just new bearings and piston rings with the Rods. Is engine balancing needed for just a rod swap?
Thanks,

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Hey guys, I got a quick question. I just got Crower Rods in from Trippin yesterday. The shop asked wether or not I wanted to have everything balanced....What do you guys think? I'm keeping my stock pistons in there, just new bearings and piston rings with the Rods. Is engine balancing needed for just a rod swap?
Thanks,
We don't turn nine grand with these diesels, but I would say it might be a good idea to at least check the weight of all the pistons. Take the lighest one and make the rest the same weight. The Crowers should weigh out very close. I have had questions about some balancing jobs in the past. If you know a reputable shop which will take the time to do it right, then I would say it can't hurt. One thing that is a big question mark on balancing an engine is the flex plate and the torque converter. They bolt to the crank, right? So maybe they should be included in the balance job.

Last edited:

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
The mechanic weighed the crowers and said they were within a gram of each other, but were 16 or 18 grams lighter than the stockers......Thats where he was a little scared--at the weight DIFFERENCE.
I dont plan on going even HALF of 9K RPM!!!