Engine and transmission temp high

bullman1355

Jan 11, 2017
Hello I'm not sure if I am asking this in the right area but maybe you all can help me. I have a 2007.5 chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l duramax. I recently pulled my 5th wheel that's 25 feet long and weighs about 7,200lbs up and over a few passes here in colorado averaging 40 to 50 mph. Tried running just with tow haul engaged and also tried shifting manually to keep rpm up so fan could help cool. My trans slowly creeped to 230 to 240 degrees and engine slowly kept creeping up to about 230 to 250 degrees. I know that this is not normal and am just asking if someone knows something I don't know. I have heard about cleaning the cooler stack. And I don't know the last time that the trans fluid has been changed so I do plan on changing that in the new future. Any help that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
First, I'd verify that the clutchfan was working. Second, clean cooling stack.

Change fluids and see how it does. 7500lbs is nothing for a Dmax, most likely an airflow issue through the cooling stack.

Do you have anything mounted on the front of the truck? Like extra lights or aftermarket grill that may block airflow.

bullman1355

Jan 11, 2017
Thermostat could be a problem. I have had a check engine light come on once before about illregular coolant temp or something like that. The coolant I have had changed like 2 years ago but I haven't had the tranny fluid changed so not sure how many miles on the tranny fluid

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Could you here the fan engaging? If it's the original clutch on the fan I bet it's toast. Also while fan is removed I flush water back threw the radiator washing it out. They can get packed with dirt and bugs. Also wash out ac condenser.

They will run just fine with a bad clutch. But not towing.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I could hear the fan engaging just past 210 degrees and stay on.
It might be engaging partially. If it comes on all the way, it sounds like a tornado or a jet plane. It will drown out any conversations inside the cab if it engages fully. When mine locks in all the way, I have to shout over it.