emissions/boost leak

Dmaxpaullly

Jan 28, 2013
northwest corner of connecticu
Ok so lately ive been having a hell of a boost leak problem. I have removed the intercooler piping twice now and tried reinstalling it with the boots in the right place and made sure the clamps where all tight I even made sure to clean the boots however when you drive the truck u hear this terrible whistle/screech and its definitely a pretty serious leak.. I recently failed emissions twice and as far as I no this is the cause unfortunately for me im almost at the end of the registration and until it passes im screwed. Also I am almost doubling the opacity im allowed when i test it.. the allowed rate is 40 and im at like 78 i just put a new motor in the truck and it was just tuned with efi live so my next move after this boost leak is fixed will be fuel trim tune i suppose. if anyone has gone threw this and has any idea what direction i should go in id be really appreciative of any help.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Get the boost leak fixed, as it can do all sorts of bad things to the motor.

There are a few ways to look for the leak, in order of simple to stupid:

1. Pay a shop to find it. Expensive, but dead simple.
  2. Make an adapter to pressurize your piping from the turbo onwards. You might have to plug the exhaust for this to hold pressure, depending on what valves are open when your engine stops. Simple, safe, and cheap.
  3. Put the truck on a chassis dyno, load hold 200+ HP (enough to get into boost), and find the air rushing out. Expensive and way overcomplicated. Unless you own a chassis dyno.
  4. Do a brake stand and build boost, while an idiot buddy crawls around the front of the truck to find the leak. <-- please don't do this
Once the boost leak is fixed, see what kind of smoke it makes. If it is running clean, get it smogged, and you're done. If it still smokes, call up your tuner, and tell him you need a clean tune.

Dmaxpaullly

Jan 28, 2013
northwest corner of connecticu
I was thinking about going with #2 a buddy suggested putting soapy water on all the connections and seeing what bubbles I do have a few idiot friends tho maybe I can talk them into number 4 haha thanks for the help

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I cant see your sig but if its a lly check if your bridge blew out or is partially out, some boots themselves could be leaking. I would just pressure teat the system with shop air. Thats what I did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
2uryryju.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk