Emergency Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Not sure where to post this..

Alright guys I've got a race tomorrow that has been advertised all over town for 3 months. This is the big one. Few days ago I dropped off the truck to get a Dual CP3, Fass 150Gph(with filters) lift pump, and Labonte water/meth kit, and HID 6000K on Hi, lows, and fogs installed. when I got it back, check engine light was on along with the glow plug light. Codes: U0100 (lost communication with ECM/PCM) and another one for the glow plug but I cant remember which one it is (believe its U0106..... could be wrong). Alright, symptoms are irratic shifting. Getting on the highway at WOT shifting dances all over the place and usually will bog down the engine. when crusing, the tranny will jump from 6th to 5th then back to 6th.
Anyone have any ideas? I need help as soon as possible.. Thanks in advance guys!
Could the HIDs be screwing the ECM up?

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
Subject: Duramax Diesel With DTC P0116 or P0181

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado
2006-2007 GMC Sierra, TopKick
Equipped with the 6.6L (RPO - LBZ or LLY) Diesel Engine

This PI Was Revised With Repair Information. Please Discard PIP3754.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Intermittent Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0116 and P0181.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete published diagnosis for any trouble codes or symptoms found. If the concern is intermittent, or diagnosis leads to no problem found, there has been a new calibration released to address P0116 and P0181 trouble codes.

The new calibration was released on March 19th 2007, and will address the P0116 and P0181.

When a P0116/P0181 sets, it may induce harsh transmission shifts, and DTCs P0700 and U0100. Disregard DTCs P0700/U0100 if they are set at the same time as P0116 and P0181.

Install the updated calibration for P0116 and P0181 and evaluate the concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
Circuit Description

Modules connected to the high speed GMLAN serial data circuits monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. The modules have prerecorded information about what messages are needed to be exchanged on the serial data circuits. The messages are supervised and also, some periodic messages are used by the receiver module as an availability indication of the transmitter module. Each message contains the identification number of the transmitter module. A module with a high speed GMLAN serial data circuits malfunction or which loses power during the current ignition cycle will have a Loss of Communication DTC set by other modules that depend on information from that failed module. If any of the high speed GMLAN circuits are shorted to battery voltage, ground or between them, no communication is possible on high speed GMLAN serial data bus, and a DTC U0073 is set.
DTC Descriptors

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:
• DTC U0100 Lost Communication With Engine Control Module (ECM)
• DTC U0101 Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM)
• DTC U0106 Lost Communication With Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM)
Conditions for Running the DTCs
• Voltage supplied to the modules is in the normal operating voltage range.
• The engine is running.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

A supervised periodic message that includes the transmitter module availability has not been received.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The module uses a default value for the missing parameter.
• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails, for the type B DTCs. For a detailed description about DTC types, refer to Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions for the 6.6L (LLY) engine.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The MIL/DTC clearing depends on DTC type. For information about DTC types, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Types for the 6.6L (LLY) engine.
• DTC type B
- The MIL clears after 3 ignition cycles when the malfunction is no longer present.
- A current DTC clears when the malfunction is no longer present.
- A history DTC clears when the module ignition cycle counter reaches the reset threshold, without a repeat of the malfunction.
• DTC type C
- A current DTC clears when the malfunction is no longer present.
- A history DTC clears when the module ignition cycle counter reaches the reset threshold, without a repeat of the malfunction.
Diagnostic Aids
• A poor connection at the inoperative module may cause this code to set.
• An improperly powered module may cause this code to set.
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

A total loss of communication on high speed GMLAN serial data link should be diagnosed first.

The modules which can communicate indicate the module which cannot communicate. You must clear the DTC from these modules to avoid future misdiagnosis.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Data Communication Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Master Electrical Component List

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

1. Install a scan tool.
2. Start the engine.
3. Retrieve DTCs from engine control module (ECM).

Is DTC U0073 set as current?

Go to DTC U0073

Go to Step 3

Important: Use the DTC descriptor list in order to determine which module is not communicating on high speed GMLAN serial data bus.

1. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
2. Test the following circuits of the module that is not communicating on high speed GMLAN serial data bus for an open or a short to ground:

• The battery positive voltage input circuits
• The battery positive voltage output circuits
• The ignition voltage input circuits
• The ignition voltage output circuits
• The switched battery positive voltage circuits

Refer to the following:
• Control Module References for the applicable schematic
• Circuit Testing
• Wiring Repairs

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 4

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Test the ground circuits of the module that is not communicating on high speed GMLAN serial data bus for an open.

Refer to the following:
• Circuit Testing
• Wiring Repairs

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 5

Test the high speed GMLAN serial data circuits of the module that is not communicating on high speed GMLAN serial data bus for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 6

Inspect the harness connectors of the module that is not communicating on high speed GMLAN serial data bus for poor connections and terminal tension at the following circuits:
• The battery positive voltage input circuits
• The battery positive voltage output circuits
• The ignition voltage input circuits
• The ignition voltage output circuits
• The switched battery positive voltage supply circuits
• The ground circuits
• The high speed GMLAN serial data circuits

Refer to the following:
• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
• Connector Repairs

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 7

Replace the module that is not communicating on high speed GMLAN serial data bus. Refer to Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 8

--

1. Install a scan tool.
2. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
3. Select the Display DTCs function for the module which was not communicating.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs which do not begin with a "U"?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

Go to Step 9

Select the Display DTCs function for the modules which had the Loss of Communications DTC set.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs which do not begin with a "U"?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

Go to Step 10

1. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
2. Continue diagnosing or clearing the DTCs until all the modules have been diagnosed and all the DTCs have been cleared.

Did you complete the action?

System OK

--

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
:eek:

Dang Stewie! Thats some serious info! Thanks for the help! Ill pass that along to the guy who installed it see if he can trouble shoot the problem.

Alright updates:

Still no go. I was not able to race. Tried driving to the track which is about 35 miles away but the erratic shifting was so annoying, i had to go back and get something else to drive. So far, I have not been able to pinpoint the problem. I did clear the codes and they just came back...I tried unplugging the HIDs but that didnt help.

One thing I forgot to mention is that upon getting it back I did a WOT run for a short period. near the end of the run, i noticed that the glow plug light shut off then came back on as soon as i let off the throttle :confused:

I'm going to take it back Monday. He still has yet to hook up the water/meth kit. hose was too short.

Also, this kit calls for tapping into the fuel injector wiring. and we cant seem to find the right pins. Any ideas? going to call Labonte tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help!

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Shooting in the dark here, but my truck would shift funny then blow an ign fuse, and id would get those loss of communications codes and i would loose all of my gauge cluster. Ended up one of connections on the co pilot had came loose off the valve body. Doesnt sound exactly like your problems but might give it a check. I got rid of that stupid thing, it shifts much better.:D

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Latest updates:

Was checking the glow plug controller, took off the plug on the passenger side of the box and checked to see if it was dirty then put it back in. Then i turned the ignition on, the glow plug light was off but the check engine light was still on. I then tried to flash a tune. It worked! Then there were no more codes and the truck was running fine. I thought this solved the problem. But I went on the highway, went WOT then after getting up to speed the Check engine light came on along with the glow plug light. Now the glow plug light only comes on when cruising/coasting. If under throttle, it shuts off.

Any ideas?

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
Final (hopefully) updates... Well I unplugged the GPCM and made sure all the pins were in contact. Plugged it back in and everything was fine. So far its holding. Got the water/meth kit installed and running, now just waiting for an update for the monitor from Dan. Other than that everything is working! Thanks to all of you for your help!