Question: Electric over hydraulic power steering

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
This would be for a dedicated pulling truck. The stock pump ain't cutting it anymore with all the weight on the front.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I like the idea of replacing the pump with electric so it has full assist at all speeds.

As for full hyrdaulic steering, with how many times I have broken my stock steering and had a complete loss of directional control, I can't even begin to imagine how hydraulic steering would be worse. We have hydraulic steering on most of our tractors, and even when a line is cut, you have some limited steering (one ram still works until you pump the fluid out, and believe me, it is obvious something has happened). I'm just tired of snapping off pitman arms, and having the truck go whatever direction it wants :mad:

The only reason I have not swapped to full hydraulic steering on my truck is because the wheel can slowly "drift" and stretch/break the clockspring. So going to a 12V pump might be a good alternative, and should be street legal in all states (full hydro isn't legal in some states). It won't help the broken part issue (might make it worse), but it would at least give more control off-road and at low speed.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've driven my buddies Jeep with full hydro steering on the street and it's really not that bad. Kinda like driving a fork lift, just at 50mph haha.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I found a $50 off discount code for northern tool if anyone is looking at buying a pump. Code: 243938

I ordered one today!

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
The duty cycle for that unit is 5 minutes on then off untill motor reaches 70f . Just an fyi to anyone wanting to use it for any other purpose, other than sled pulling.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The duty cycle for that unit is 5 minutes on then off untill motor reaches 70f . Just an fyi to anyone wanting to use it for any other purpose, other than sled pulling.

i was just wondering this. that wouldn't make for a good DD setup using that pump lol

duramaxsandwich

Mar 30, 2009
i ran a haldex 12v pump into my hydroboost for a few years and it worked great. if you need more brake holding pressure to build boost just turn up the pressure on the pump :thumb:

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
i ran a haldex 12v pump into my hydroboost for a few years and it worked great. if you need more brake holding pressure to build boost just turn up the pressure on the pump :thumb:

Thanks, good to know!

I'm planning on reducing pressure to about 1,500psi first to see how it works, than will adjust higher if needed. Pump is preset at 2,500psi.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
Ordered mine this morning. what type fittings are you gonna use on gearbox and hydra booster? A buddy of mine has it on his 2000 gasser pulling truck and it looks like NPT fittings