EGR Cooler

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
So its about time for another oil change so will get another sample but in meantime thought Id ask. Had the low coolant message come on yesterday. This is the 2nd time in 30k miles. Both times only added about a cup. It was at the min line. Last oil analysis I had slightly elevate traces of Aluminum, Potassium (truck LOVES bananas!), and Magnesium. Blackstone told me it was not worrisome as it could have been still flux in the EGR cooler as it was at 54k miles on truck. So fast forward to now and Im wondering if the egr cooler is leaking and causing this? I am tuned and have been since 40k miles. I did NOT delete or block off anything. Now Im starting to reconsider that.

I dont know how all of that egr routes or anything being my first diesel. Is it possible the egr or cooler could be leaking into oil somehow ever so slightly? Truck NEVER gets over 190* on my Edge CTS2. Even towing in traffic on 95* days. I keep power on 60hp tune. I bought truck with 34k miles on it. Dont run weird or nothing. Like I said Ive only ever had to add it twice since I bought it in 12/15 and both times only added about a cup. I will check all hoses to make sure but Ive never seen a drip on the ground.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Had the same issue but at 75k miles. Added a small bit of coolant two different times. Never saw a drip or run anywhere, until the water pump decided to puke one day. Did the pump at 85k and its been fine. Removed EGR cooler and all that fun stuff not much longer after that. Makes it much easier to work on with that monstrosity gone. I wouldn't be surprised if it could leak and burn off and you'd never know it, but i'm just guessing..