EFI v2 & Windows 8

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is going on with my computer/V2. I have a laptop I borrowed with Win 7 on it and have no problem installing tunes or communicating to the V2. When I try to use my Win 8 Laptop the computer will recognize the V2 is connected but will not communicate with it? Also the V2 screen is solid blue with the Win 8 computer but not the Win 7. Anyone have any ideas how to get this working?

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
EFI v2 & Windows 8

c29ce3aa649f8dd2f9e364cd697adbc2.png

8262b01c7542860a153aed86c577dff9.jpg

aebfa160ad0a7d575ef762c523c3dfc0.png

Last edited:

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
Have you gone into device manager on the Windows 8 machine and checked the the V2 drivers are being recognized by windows? Windows 8 was very pick about stuff like that.
Windows 7 is really good about auto detecting and auto installing drivers.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Have you tried a different usb plug? I have used mine on my win7 laptop and my win7 desktop but I make sure to use the usb 2 plugs because sometimes usb 3 can be touchy with older stuff. I will get time today and hook my v2 up to my server wich runs win8.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm with Trimox, I think it is a USB port issue. Try a different port (might have to try all of them) and see if you can get one to work. Once the V2 boots, Windows should be able to recognize it.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Well tried it on my server and worked fine with V8 didn't try v 7.5 as I had to install V8 just to try it. I tried it in a usb 2 and then a usb 3 and they both worked for me.

I checked my driver version it was 2.12.26.0 2/24/2017. Looked at the driver details and had 5 .dll files under it. If yours is different might need to look into that.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Thanks for the help so far made a little progress found a port that worked and have the V2 showing text on the screen and V8 recognizing the device but when I go to USB test I keep getting $101 error, or I'll get a blue screen on the laptop, or the program will freeze. I was able to update firmware and bootblock but then it will lose communication. I have no problem with other devices including my Dimsport New Genius which I use for tuning tractors. :dontknow: Let me know if more screen shots would be helpful

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
Thanks for the help so far made a little progress found a port that worked and have the V2 showing text on the screen and V8 recognizing the device but when I go to USB test I keep getting $101 error, or I'll get a blue screen on the laptop, or the program will freeze. I was able to update firmware and bootblock but then it will lose communication. I have no problem with other devices including my Dimsport New Genius which I use for tuning tractors. :dontknow: Let me know if more screen shots would be helpful

If you plug the V2 into the laptop and it instantly gets a BSD then you have a short in the USB hub on the laptop. If you wiggle the USB cable head when it's plugged into the laptop does it feel like it has play in it? If so the soldering for the USB hub may be coming loose.

If the USB hub feels solid, it may be your power cord. Are you using your OEM cord? Are you plugged into an outlet when plugging in the V2 or running off of the battery? Make sure that the cord you are using has the correct output volts/amps.

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
When you go in to properties for EFI Live, Do you have the ability to run in compatibility mode?

In windows 10, I have had to do that with some laptops.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
Ok had a little more time and have gone back and checked with the usb test it is fine. Have you upgraded from 8 to 8.1? I could not stand 8 by its self those tabs bugged the crap out of me, I like a desktop. That is part of the reason I use it on a server and not for usual computing. Not to discourage you.

What model laptop is this?
Have you tried a different usb a to usb b cable? They are just "printer" cables nothing special.
You say it works with your other devices for do they use the same cable type?

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
So far I have tried wiggling the cable but produces the same results, I am running off of the battery currently when testing this, changed properties to win 8 compatibility mode. I have one port that will allow the connection, but shows the errors I've posted screen shots of. If I use the one on the side of the Laptop the program locks up then I get a Blue screen with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. The v2 has no issues with the win 7 laptop, and I use a similar printer cable to connect my dimsport device with out issue on this computer

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You could try installing a newer driver for the V2. It is possible an older one got installed, or since it is just a FTDI chip inside it AFAIK, some other program could have a bad FTDI driver installed. I know how to do a manual driver install on Windows 7, but I am not sure how on Windows 8.

The drivers are located here: https://www.efilive.com/additional-downloads
They have one from 2013 and one from 2011. I'd try the newer one first.

I also am leaning toward what Woodster is saying in some ways. It really does have the symptoms of a hardware problem with the laptop. If it was just software, it would behave the same in all USB ports. The fact that only one port even recognizes the V2 makes me suspect the laptop has hardware issues.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
So far I have tried wiggling the cable but produces the same results, I am running off of the battery currently when testing this, changed properties to win 8 compatibility mode. I have one port that will allow the connection, but shows the errors I've posted screen shots of. If I use the one on the side of the Laptop the program locks up then I get a Blue screen with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. The v2 has no issues with the win 7 laptop, and I use a similar printer cable to connect my dimsport device with out issue on this computer

Okay. Try it with the AC adapter plugged in. Same result?

If so, do you have an external HDD or a flash drive that you could plug into the USB ports to test with? Make sure the external drives are detected by windows and try to transfer a file from your PC to the flash/external HDD. If you have the same results as before as far as connectivity, I'd think that it's time to buy a laptop.

Also, have you ever updated the BIOS on this laptop?

Last edited: