EFI Live and modding

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
I had some tunes installed back in 2012. Tuning was through BOBO. I have not toyed with the tuner, tunes, or the truck. Unfortunately the truck is in the shop to get the head gaskets replaced. While it is in the shop I am toying with an EGR delete, an upgraded lift pump, and an upgraded fuel rail. My question is this- I know it would be helpful to retune but is it absolutely necessary to do so just to drive it 3 hours home from the shop? I know these questions might be elementary to some folks but I am really not knowledgeable with this stuff. Thanks in advance.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You could drive it home. It will have codes associated with the egr delete but should drive home okay. Retune it as soon as possible.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Realistically, a good tuner would disable the egr and disable an associated codes along with the egr such as the low voltage codes you will get from it not being plugged in. But its not going to inhibit anything from driving home.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Anyone have experience with using Fleece Performance injector nozzles in stock injectors? Is that something that will greatly improve performance?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
My personal opinion, I wouldn't worry about doing anything to the fuel system until you've at least built the trans. The tuning you have to run on a stock trans is way less than the stock fuel system can support. You really don't even need a liftpump unless you want the extra filtration.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
My personal opinion, I wouldn't worry about doing anything to the fuel system until you've at least built the trans. The tuning you have to run on a stock trans is way less than the stock fuel system can support. You really don't even need a liftpump unless you want the extra filtration.
That makes sense. I was told by one diesel tech here that the stock fuel rail would have to be replaced because it is a one time use. This isn't the guy that is doing my head gaskets but a different guy. Is that a BS statement? So if the truck is already tuned you would just leave it alone and not mess with the fuel system at all? What about doing the EGR delete? I know my truck was not tuned for that. If I can find the original tune guy I do remember him telling me he would redo if I altered those things. IF I were to NOT reprogram but have done an EGR delete what can I expect?

Again, sorry if these questions seem incredibly stupid. I have not done any reading or homework on any of this stuff in over 2 years.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
That's bs on the fuel rail. And I recomend doing something with the egr. You could install an egr blocker plate for around $20 and save some cash. But you'll still need the egr disabled and codes blocked in your tune.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
That makes sense. I was told by one diesel tech here that the stock fuel rail would have to be replaced because it is a one time use. This isn't the guy that is doing my head gaskets but a different guy. Is that a BS statement? So if the truck is already tuned you would just leave it alone and not mess with the fuel system at all? What about doing the EGR delete? I know my truck was not tuned for that. If I can find the original tune guy I do remember him telling me he would redo if I altered those things. IF I were to NOT reprogram but have done an EGR delete what can I expect?

Again, sorry if these questions seem incredibly stupid. I have not done any reading or homework on any of this stuff in over 2 years.
Woah!
One time use on the fuel rail? That's complete BS!
You might need to do something later on with the FRPRV (Fuel Rail Pressure Relief Valve) but not right now, you'll know you need a new one or a shim kit if you throw a P0087 code (? I think that's the code?)

Yes, aside for the addition of a good dual filter lift pump leave the fuel system alone. It's fine for what you're doing. My personal preferance and suggestion would be to get EFI-Live tuning and ditch the bully dog or whatever flash tune you've got right now...

As far as the a EGR goes, the blocker plate is the quick answer. It's cheap, fast and gets the job done, and if you need to smog your rig it can be easily removed for the test and replaced after. For guys that have to smog test I always tell them to have their tuner leave the emissions controls active for the optimized stock tune on their DSP switch, that way when they go to test they have the ability to have full EGR functions and no CEL lights on the dash.

With EFI-L you'll have quite a bit more power on tap, so you're trans will be your limiting factor. I wouldn't mess around with a shift kit on a 5sp Alli, you gotta tear it down about half way or so to do the install, so you're better off just doing the whole build, especially at the mileage you're at now...

That's bs on the fuel rail. And I recomend doing something with the egr. You could install an egr blocker plate for around $20 and save some cash. But you'll still need the egr disabled and codes blocked in your tune.

This x100