Edge CTS2 problem

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
Has anyone on here had problems with getting they're edge cts2 to communicate with their lb7? I have a friend we put it in his truck, wouldn't communicate to read pids, called edge and they said truck needed a 2003 or newer operating software so flashed in a new tune with 2003 os, problem still existed. I can read data/pids just fine with EFI live so I don't think it's an issue with the truck. Tried the cts2 on an lmm and it connected just fine. Any ideas?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Bumping this one up is anyone else having or have had problems with the cts2 and LB7’s? The one that’s giving me trouble is a 03 with a dsp5 tune, the monitor will switch tunes fine and the pids will work properly for the majority of the time. But occasionally the pids on the monitor freeze, won’t be able to switch tunes, get the security light on the dash, dead peddle, gauges on the dash go to “0”, and a bunch of communication codes for ecm, tcm, and a few others. Turn the truck off, unplug and plug back in the CTS2, clear the codes and it’s back to normal for a while, for a easy test I’ve tried a new CTS2 and cord, another ecm/tcm out of another truck and had the same problems. The truck had no problems without it before the CTS2 and just using a autocal to switch tunes, the CTS2 is unplugged now just waiting to see if the problems return without it.

Last edited:

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Reviving this thread - 3 yrs old but I know rcr1978 is still around :)

I've been fighting similar issues with the CTS2 and my LB7. Just like yours, the DSP5 switching always works fine, but occasionally all the PIDs freeze, except for the two analog EAS probes I'm using with the unit - EGT (right side ex. manifold) and boost PSI (in the wastegate tube). Only seems to happen maybe once in every 10-20 drive cycles. When it happens, the truck continues to run fine, but the A/C quits and the security light turns on in the cluster. Very rare, but I have seen my fuel gauge go to empty a couple of times. If you try and read DTCs, sometimes there are none, sometimes there's a bunch of Uxxxx codes indicating the class 2 data bus is hosed. Attempting to return the unit to the main monitor screen always results in a "Unit cannot communicate with vehicle - powering down". Normally a key off/on cycle clears everything, but sometimes I need to clear the Uxxx DTCs first, depending on which ones get set.

I did all the usual updating the CTS2, got a new OBD2 connection cord from Edge, even swapped to a completely new (probably refurb) unit they sent me, but the problem persists. I even bought a new ECM, programmed it with my DSP5 tunes and problem persists with this 2nd ECM. After a bunch of research, another guy on a different forum was chasing the same problem, someone suggested replacing the ignition switch on the column. I replaced mine as well, didn't fix. The only other variable I can think of regarding the class 2 data bus is that I have an aftermarket stereo with a PAC RP5-GM11 module to regain the chime and steering wheel control functionality that the stock stereo had. Everything else is stock electronics.

Were you able to find any solution?

The CTS2 is about ready to hit the trash. Done with the flaky behavior and I'm probably going back to a good old reliable DSP5 switch with analog gauges, especially given what I've been hearing about the CTS3 being full of bugs as well. Banks iDash seems to be plug & play in the OBD2 port for 2008+ vehicles only. Seems they offer the 66563 standalone 12v only iDash gauge, with the 4 analog sensor input adapter plus the pressure + EGT sensor I would be back to the basics this way as well.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Your going to laugh I was in the same boat, it was a buddies truck. I swapped about every module on the truck with ones out of mine, checked class 2 data wiring everywhere numerous times. I felt defeated on this one then eventually found that fukn radiator adapter and then the light turned on :oops: . It was the radio adapter the whole time, he drove around for two weeks with it unplugged and never had anymore issues and the edge worked fine. He got a new radio adapter and still no problems.

Reactions: dndj

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Holy crap! I'm going to go yank that aftermarket stereo adapter out today. I'll report back in a few weeks when I have enough drive time under it to convince me it's really gone.

Thanks for the help! This has been dogging me for a long time....