Edge CTS 2 vs CTS 3

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Whats people thoughts on the new Edge CTS 3? I am on the fence on weather to keep it or go back to my CTS 2. The advantages of the CTS 3 is that I can put 4 more PIDs on the screen and it starts way faster. The issues I have been having is that after starting it doesn't always refresh the PIDs so it shows the reading from when the truck was shut off and doesn't change. It can be fixed pretty easily, but I am not sure if its a issue with my truck since the CTS2 would randomly say that it couldn't connect and needed to be restated. Also they got rid of the records page, which I liked to have to see what peak temps where after a trip or some pulls without having to do a full data log or anything like that. They also removed the RCA connection so you can't use the old style backup cameras, supposably the have a USB version, but I am not sure how that works.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I personally like the CTS2 better. They just are very proven products. I've seen some glitches out of the CTS3 but they seem to be getting much better as software improves. As for the backup camera, Edge sells a USB adapter for like $100 to use your old backup camera with the CTS3.

The A Team

Jul 26, 2015
I agree I like the CTS2 over the 3 at this time anyways. I sell a lot of these and personally I do not see the 3 being faster then the 2 but I do think the 2 has smoother operation and less glitches.

Reactions: Bdsankey

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
My CTS2 works almost perfect. About once in 20 or so startups, it refuses to read the trans gear PID and displays "P" the entire time. I also will get the random "could not connect" at startup even more infrequently, sounds like the same thing you're reporting MAXX. Pulling the plug and reconnecting clears either issue, it's infrequent enough for me that it would be pretty tough to troubleshoot.

I would be interested in hearing more about different folks experience with the CTS3, I did some reading a few months ago and it seemed there was a lot of growing pains / early bugs.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
The screen on my 2 stopped working, they upgraded me to the 3. The 3 took some getting used to on the screen layout. But so far I like the 3 better. Just my 2 cents

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
My experience with the 3 sucked. The only reason I got it was because they got the 2 when they stole the truck the first time. I hope whoever has the 3 enjoys it. The 2 had its problems but not nearly as many. The 2 screen would lock up sometimes. And in the Vegas heat would often not turn on till it cooled down. The 3 would constantly be in the wrong order of operation. It would stay on until the next time I got in the truck the would turn off when I started it. I was always having to unplug it to set it right. And made sure it was updated at least 3 times and was always good. And even though the 3 was cheaper I guarantee the back up camera isn’t worth another $100. I’ll tell you what though, I haven’t had a single issue with the original CTS that’s in my ‘02 😂. And no mater what version you have the egt probes suck lol.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
My experience with the 3 sucked. The only reason I got it was because they got the 2 when they stole the truck the first time. I hope whoever has the 3 enjoys it. The 2 had its problems but not nearly as many. The 2 screen would lock up sometimes. And in the Vegas heat would often not turn on till it cooled down. The 3 would constantly be in the wrong order of operation. It would stay on until the next time I got in the truck the would turn off when I started it. I was always having to unplug it to set it right. And made sure it was updated at least 3 times and was always good. And even though the 3 was cheaper I guarantee the back up camera isn’t worth another $100. I’ll tell you what though, I haven’t had a single issue with the original CTS that’s in my ‘02 😂. And no mater what version you have the egt probes suck lol.

Isn't that the truth? The only solution is going to an aftermarket probe.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Well I decided to return the CTS 3, after going back to the CTS 2 for a couple of days. Somehow the 3 was causing a issue with the stock radio, where it would be working with the key on and during startup it would shut it off and reset the clock. I figured there was no point having a device that I don't know how much of the data on the screen was correct, plus creates some other issues. Maybe after a while they will get the CTS 3 sorted out and i will get another one.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I like the screen on the 3 and it’s operation but that’s it. The 2 is far more glitch free. If they get the 3 sorted though it would be a better unit IMO.