LB7: ECM swap

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I think I may have a bad ECM. Can I get the appropriate ECM from a junk yard and reprogram the second ECM with EFILive using the same tune for the original VIN truck?

Will this cost me a license from EFI?

I was hoping to slip in the new ECM, do a reflash, then start the truck. Does this work?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
You can get a ECM and do a full flash. Your going to need use a new vin lic on the new ECM.
Is there anyway around this Henry? I want an extra ecm and tcm so I can have tunes for daily driving and seperate for the track. I hate to have to burn a liscence doing this. Can the dealer flash the ecm and tcm installing the same vin?

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Nope, the license is keyed to the serial number of the ECM. I just went through this, after you pay for the extra license it works pretty slick!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Dammit, I was hoping there was a way around this. I have an extra liscence just hated to use it on the same truck. Thanks for the info!

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Check the grounds on the passenger side of the block if they come loose the ecm wont work.Its almost never the ecm.I have had the blots come loose and the wire break off over there so just something to check before you buy an ecm.