ECM Serial/VIN# help!

SteepyBS

DF transplant
May 6, 2010
Lake Forest Park, Washington
after doing the injectors in my truck 2 weeks ago the security light on the dash has been lit, i didnt think anything of it and didnt want to deal with it at the time

went to plug EFI in the other day to load a different tune and maybe see if there was a way to kill the light

plugged EFI and went to do a full flash to go back from DSP5 to a stock OS, hit the test first just to che3ck the connection and it goes to connect, after trying to access the ECM a message pops up saying my V2 is not licensed to this ECM even though its the same one ive tuned before

now my Edge Insight cant connect to the ECM either so its not reading when it worked fine (up until today)

plugged in the V2 today and scanned the truck, pulled up this information for VIN/Serial etc

PCM
VIN r™ßµ£ªH€ *(#
Hardware Number 3217667561
Calibration ID 671911945
Serial Number 000000000000
Operating System 03904405
Engine Calibration 15189052
Engine Diagnostics 15076379
Not used N/A
Not used N/A
Fuel System 15076354
System 15076385
Speedometer 15076392

help???

drcook

Jul 10, 2008
there are lots of posts on the web about the security light and resetting it. it looks as though the VIN is being encoded. I stripped this off another post for you, you might give it a try

also try googling "resetting security light +Duramax"

" have been fighting this same problem for about a week. Replaced both batteries after it had been sitting with dead batteries for about two weeks. Noticed the security light was staying on while cranking. Followed the VATS reset process of try starting leave key in on position for 10 minutes, made sure security light had gone off before turning the key to off position, waited 15 seconds and repeated crank, on position. Repeated this sequence a total of 3 times for a total of 30 minutes. Again on the final sequence waited the 15 seconds before trying to start. THE TRUCK FIRED INSTANTLY LIKE IT USED TOO. What a relief"

Has your truck been flashed with a TECH II?

A Tech II is "known" for resetting ECM serial numbers to 000000.

We can "fix" a 00000 serial number, however with the funky VIN as well you may be out of luck.

Have you tried re-reading the ECM? In cases like these the ECM usually appears locked.

Cheers
Cindy

SteepyBS

DF transplant
May 6, 2010
i have not had the ECM reflashed by a techII yet, going to try the VATS return when i get time today, i can connect to the ECM and run the scan tool without any problems but havent tried to read the ECM yet, i will try that when i do the VATS relearn

out of luck as far as my V2 license or out of luck in terms of fried ECM? i really hope youre going to tell me just the $100 license :eek:

i have not had the ECM reflashed by a techII yet, going to try the VATS return when i get time today, i can connect to the ECM and run the scan tool without any problems but havent tried to read the ECM yet, i will try that when i do the VATS relearn

out of luck as far as my V2 license or out of luck in terms of fried ECM? i really hope youre going to tell me just the $100 license :eek:

At some point of time the serial number originally licensed to EFILive has changed. Most commonly we see this happen when a Tech II is used. It may not have been during your injector change, it may have been earlier. Try to think of the last time you were able to tune with EFILive and what's been done to the truck between then and now.

If the serial number is 0000 and the VIN remains intact, we can simply issue you with a new license (free of charge) and you can reflash your truck. EFILive will create a unique serial number on the first reflash and all is good.

Usually when a vin contains junk the ECM has become corrupt in some form. Again, usually with this you cannot read out the ECM program as part of the corruption "LOCKS" the ECM.

In most cases you get one event or the other, it's uncommon to get both.

Cheers
Cindy

SteepyBS

DF transplant
May 6, 2010
Just tried to pull the tune, got ECM locked message, only things that have been done to the truck since last reflash was battery change and injectors, am I SOL now?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I thought you said you could read the ecm, just couldnt flash it???

IF you can you are going to need to burn another license, but EFI should hook you up on this case. I posted this for ya over on the DF...

Like Cindy said, if you cant even pull the tune, you have a nice door stop.

there are a few people that may be able to recover it if you wanna go that far.

SteepyBS

DF transplant
May 6, 2010
went by the dealership today and they couldnt flash with the TECHII supposedly cause i have custom calibrations loaded, they said to bring it by tomorrow and they would try to get a "VCI#" then they would be able to flash it? but said if they couldnt get that id need a PCM not an ECM, what and where is the PCM??? should i just get my hands on a new ECM and wipe my hands of this?

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
went by the dealership today and they couldnt flash with the TECHII supposedly cause i have custom calibrations loaded, they said to bring it by tomorrow and they would try to get a "VCI#" then they would be able to flash it? but said if they couldnt get that id need a PCM not an ECM, what and where is the PCM??? should i just get my hands on a new ECM and wipe my hands of this?

PCM/ECM lmao...same thing. Go to another dealer, or pickup an ECM. Id steer away from that dealer.

SteepyBS

DF transplant
May 6, 2010
well mike, your buddy Newly is officially THE MAN, had one over on DF that still hadnt sold that hes going to ship me next week

Cindy, is there any way to get credit for a new license or am i buying this one? :angel:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
well mike, your buddy Newly is officially THE MAN, had one over on DF that still hadnt sold that hes going to ship me next week

Cindy, is there any way to get credit for a new license or am i buying this one? :angel:

I texted him a bit ago, wasnt sure if he still had any left. He just got back to me lol

SteepyBS

DF transplant
May 6, 2010
lol yeah i started going through FS ads on all the forums and saw his and shot him a text right away, i figure this is better than HOPING the dealer can fix it with 2 hours of labor tomorrow, especially when they tell me something scary like "id have to ask my tech where the ECM is" :rofl: