ECM not found??? :(

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
Looking for some help here guys :) My friend has a 04 LB7 he had a Crazy Larry program on it from BullyDog and wanted to switch to EFI Live. When we took the BullyDog of the the truck and put it to stock to upload the Stock cal with EFI Live the cal that came out of it was very different from what the stock cal should have been. So anytime you didnt have the BullyDog on the truck it wouldnt run worth a crap. The truck would never come to life until about 2500 RPMs no matter if it was the stock cal or the McRat tune. Soon as you put the bullyDog back on ran fine. So we took it to the dealer to flash the ECM to clear all the bullydog info off the ECM. Now the truck runs like it should with stock cal. Soon as we tried to upload the new stock cal that the dealership put in it tells me on the EFI Live tune tool that the ECM cannot be found. It also says it has unarmed the ECM and REarmed but will never let me upload or download anything from or to the truck?? The dealership said when they flashed the ECM that they had some issues with the Anti Theft properly syncing back up with the ECM??

If anyone knows of anything to try to get EFI LIve to communicate with the ECM Im all ears. Thanks for your input.

Brian1

Jan 1, 2008
edit::

Just got a thought. Have you done a full flash of the tune?

edit::

That is hard to say. If you can't get in to relearn the VATS then not gonna get around that if that is the issue. It has a countdown of like 255 times for starting to get back to 0. A tech II should be able to reset to 0 for you but if it can't get in I am not sure.

Check all fuses inside and out to make sure. Only other thought is get a new ECM from say Nick from www.duramaxtuner.com or other vendors. I think McRat may do this as well. Then do a full flash of the stock tune. Do the injector table reprogram off the Flashscan II. Here you need to be fully updated on EFILive V7.5 and V8 installed and the latest Bootblock and Firmware installed on the Flashscan II.

Brian

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Get the truck and get ready to flash and give me a call, we will go through it together over the phone.

I also have brand new LB7 ECMs in stock for $300.

Guy

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
Thanks for the info Brian and Guy:) Brian Nick was actually the first person I called :) He suggested that the voltage was low on the truck and to drive around and charge the up the battery. We tried this and still got the same ECM not found. I will try checking and doing all the stuff like you said it all sounds like good ideas. If I still dont get it to work than I will call and bother Guy :) ITs always nice to trouble shoot and fix things are your own but Im not that good with this stuff yet so I appreciate the response and the info guys!

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Try the following, in the exact order I have listed.

1) Turn the key to the "on" position.
2) Plug into the truck. (Make sure the EFILive unit lights up. If not you have a blown "cig lighter fuse").
3) Plug into the laptop.
4) Launch the Tuning tool on the laptop.
5) Hold down the CTRL button and select "Page up". (This is just a "Hot Key" for read cal.)
6) Select the proper controller from the drop down menu. (You're sure it is an LB7 and not an LLY?)
7) Select the "Try Alt Keys" button.
8) Select the "Check Status" button.
9) If status comes back OK, then select "start".

Dose he have any aftermarket alarms, stereo, XM, Ipod adapters? These will sometimes play havoc with communications to the ECM. If so, you could try removing the "Radio" and "Info" fuse from under the hood.

I've had some that I physically had to disconnect from the truck before I could read/flash a cal. Not just the power wire, I mean physically remove it's adapter harness from the truck. Sometimes it's easier to remove the ECM and put it in another truck.

Let me know..........

Guy