LB7: eating batteries

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Thats unfortunate . I don't prefer buying batteries at these discount stores I buy Interstate batteries myself.

02maxstang

Jan 13, 2015
CT
Thats unfortunate . I don't prefer buying batteries at these discount stores I buy Interstate batteries myself.

Left batteries disconnected over night and after 12 hours read 12.7v and reconnected amp draw reads 1+- but today was an above freezing day. More than likely the cause.

But Pulled the alternator pulled the batteries. Batteries check good. Alternator checks good. Hook everything back up and do an amp test on the alternator again and at 1200+- rpm with everything on running about 67amps at 14.7v. Same test at 1600+-rpm gets 74 amps at 14.8 .

Isolated each circuit and used a test light.
-disconnected secondary battery
Disconnected neg on main battery and closed the circuit from neg cable to neg on battery with test light(test light on)
-pulled each fuse one at a time. Literally every fuse.
-light stays on
-this test yealds no results.

Going to let sit ove . Night again and see if its the cold weather bringing the v/amp down so low.

rickaveryjr

Nov 29, 2012
CT
are you saying that with every fuse pulled out you can light the test light with the clamp on the negative cable and touching the light to the negative post? is there anything that's powered right from the battery and not switched, like the brake controller?

02maxstang

Jan 13, 2015
CT
are you saying that with every fuse pulled out you can light the test light with the clamp on the negative cable and touching the light to the negative post? is there anything that's powered right from the battery and not switched, like the brake controller?

No I replaced each fuse after I pulled it out and to put it back into the circuit. So I pulled out all of them. One at a time and replaced it after no change in test light. My brake controller is hooked up to the junction box on the DS floor board and I disconnected the controller and made no change.

TheEdge

Feb 16, 2015
B'ham, Alabama
Could easily be the glow plug relay if it eventually runs all the way out of juice. I replaced mine a couple months ago, much better starts

Also, upgrade those batts homie. I had similar batteries in mine for a while (around 750 CCA) until I saw my neighbors new ones. He suggested at least 800 so I went back to place I got them, the new manager said they shut have put bigger ones in the first time and gave me two brand new 875CCA's under warranty. The are much better but...

I have a shitty Delco alternator I swapped in a hurry on a trip. I really would like to upgrade it because my batteries still don't charge up to what I know they should and I have no parasitic draw.

Hope my long-winded response helps. :D

Last edited: