Duramax with a 4L80E

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
I made this thread to learn, but instead, all I got was a bunch of attitude and people telling me that I'm basically an idiot. There are reasons why I no longer use forums. I shouldn't have even asked y'all.

Mike made it clear as day...

You will probably be fine in your case. It's the massive tq under hot rodding along with the heavy weight that will do the 4L80 in.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I made this thread to learn, but instead, all I got was a bunch of attitude and people telling me that I'm basically an idiot. There are reasons why I no longer use forums. I shouldn't have even asked y'all.

Then log off and quit wasting your/our time if that's what you think.

cbarnett_2500

Apr 23, 2015
Durmaxzac, no. I came here with an open mind. I don't have any diesel components yet. I just wanted help understanding something that I knew little about before I went and spent money on a totally different engine.

Ty_lbz, I never saw his post. My appologies. Thank you for pointing it out.

Also, Smokeshow, thank you for your input and for not being a jerk when telling me. I really appreciate it.

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
Durmaxzac, no. I came here with an open mind. I don't have any diesel components yet. I just wanted help understanding something that I knew little about before I went and spent money on a totally different engine.

Ty_lbz, I never saw his post. My appologies. Thank you for pointing it out.

Also, Smokeshow, thank you for your input and for not being a jerk when telling me. I really appreciate it.

We're all here to learn from each other, just don't take post here personally. Any forum or site can get to you, shoot just take a look at some of the YouTube comments.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
If you can handle your foot once you put a duramax in, you'll be okay with the 4L80. Not many people can control their feet once they feel the torque of a diesel. Hell, most of us love how hard a diesel can bury us in the seat once they experience a performance tune. Pretty hard not to do it often.

cbarnett_2500

Apr 23, 2015
If you can handle your foot once you put a duramax in, you'll be okay with the 4L80. Not many people can control their feet once they feel the torque of a diesel. Hell, most of us love how hard a diesel can bury us in the seat once they experience a performance tune. Pretty hard not to do it often.

That's the only reason I'd want the Duramax lol. It's ok though. I'm just gonna put the transmission I've ordered on my stock Vortec 6.0. Then maybe during the later part of the summer, I'll learn how to build my own built transmission and swap the drivetrain to a duramax.

My problem isn't finding an engine. I've found multiple of those. My problem is finding a transmission that is still good. All the ones I've found won't shift, are stuck in a gear, don't have reverse, or don't move at all. That's the only reason I even asked whether or not a 4L80E would handle it. But since they won't, I'll just stay with the unleaded pump for a bit longer.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Damn, that's not what I wanted to hear, had planned on a 4L80 behind a compound turbo LBZ swap I have planned. ~3400lbs though, not a heavy truck.

No upgrade for this?

I spoke with Dave Goerend on this subject, he says he would use a 4l80e over a 48re any day in this type of use....depending how crazy your compound lbz may be I guess

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY
I spoke with Dave Goerend on this subject, he says he would use a 4l80e over a 48re any day in this type of use....depending how crazy your compound lbz may be I guess

I might have to give Dave a call, I've spent a couple hours on the phone with him and I feel REALLY stupid afterwords:rofl: Knows his trans stuff for sure.

After I posted I thought "well I could always put a 48re behind it..."

I don't plan on anything too crazy, figure ~3400lbs and 6-650hp with stock/475 compounds would be more than enough to make traction a serious problem.

cbarnett_2500

Apr 23, 2015
What is done to this truck that makes it so heavy? Crew cab long bed straight axled??? Duramax allison trucks barely weigh that....

Hell if I know. The truck is a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, IFS, ext cab, short wheel-base. It was 8400 stock. Since then, I've added 2 15 inch subs, a custom box (which weighed 150 lbs itself), 20x10 wheels, bigger tires, a toolbox, and a beefier transfer case. I DID take the tailgate off... so that eliminated a little weight :roflmao:

Duramaxzac, the truck, with a good transmission, is only worth 4500 :/ And around here, you can't find a good Duramax under 15,000. That's why I wanted to do the swap. I have found some trucks that have either had wrecked rear ends or bad aesthetic damage. The owners were going to sell just the engine, transmission, and transfer case for around 4k, but all of the transmissions were either junk or soon to be junk. Plus, I LOVE working on my truck, and I've always wanted to do some sort of engine swap. I thought it would be cool to do the Duramax swap, but since I just ordered a new transmission, I wanted to know if it would bolt to the Duramax and last a while. Buuuuuut, now I know that answer is no. lol.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
HA yeah people look at that sticker in the door and say yeah my truck weighs 9600 or something.

So can thr 4L80E be built to hold behind a built duramax say 800 hp? I'm guessing not.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
HA yeah people look at that sticker in the door and say yeah my truck weighs 9600 or something.

So can thr 4L80E be built to hold behind a built duramax say 800 hp? I'm guessing not.

Guessing is right. Hp isn't the issue. It's low RPM torque, move the RPM range up, get away from big peak Tq numbers and an 80 will live fine behind a big power anything.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I might have to give Dave a call, I've spent a couple hours on the phone with him and I feel REALLY stupid afterwords:rofl: Knows his trans stuff for sure.

After I posted I thought "well I could always put a 48re behind it..."

I don't plan on anything too crazy, figure ~3400lbs and 6-650hp with stock/475 compounds would be more than enough to make traction a serious problem.

His reasoning was the 4l80e has a center support and roller sprags for each clutch, so you can't get a bind like a 48re...