Duramax rebuild

wickedwhitetails

Aug 9, 2010
Hey just wanted to get opions. I am looking at a 2002 crew cab duramax with 286k on it. The truck was a work truck so is worn. My intentions were I wanted to find one like this because I want an arival blue duramax which are hard to find plus I wanted to build the motor some so I didnt want to just trash a good one. So plans would be total restoration and engine build. How much would you say a good streetable (but yet able to sled pull some) built engine/tranny combo would cost. What all would you do to the engine tranny combo. The guy is asking 6500 for it. Do you think this is a reasonable price? Thanks in advance.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
If you do a budget build i would say anywhere from $8k-$14k for the motor, tranny depending on what stage you get i would say $3,000-$4,500

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Gonna greatly depend on how much of the work you can do yourself. I don't think you will be less than $20k for truck, engine, trans, charger, tuning, injectors, etc. unless you really skimp on the engine build. As in just throw rods in it and go without any machine work, balancing, piston work, cam, head work, valve train work, studs, etc.

Any idea what condition the current injectors are in?

wickedwhitetails

Aug 9, 2010
No idea on the injectors. I am just starting to look around at these type of trucks. My thoughts were why pay 20K plus for a truck in good condition "stock" when I can fine an old tired out one mod it and make it what I want for the same price. I was just looking for a list of recommended parts and prices to figure how much I could spend on the truck its self. Thanks

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd hafta go look but to my knowledge, Trent throw together the cheapest "built" motor yet when all he did was pull the rods & pistons, delipped the piston bowls, throw em on a set of crower rods & right back in they went. No balancing, machining, not even a full disassemble IIRC. :eek: that method isn't highly regarded as a sound tactic but worked for him at like 1200hp for a season! I wanna say trent's supper budget "build" was less than or close to $5000 by the time you replace gaskets & such.

About the cheapest budget build to do one balanced & machined & rods & pistons is like $8-9k. Henry (ripmf666) knows exactly what the bare necessities of a rebuild are & has parts packages setup just for it. I'd PM him for a better #.

If you're gonna throw in cost of mild engine build, injectors, turbo, trans, lift pump, etc. It's going to most likely be above $20k incl price of truck at $6k. The reason I know is because of that 83 you see listed in my sig. I've got almost $15k in truck & parts & no built motor yet! I do have a lot of USED parts though! ;). My cash tree is a bare MFer so it's taking me YEARS to assemble all the parts to this point. It's a very expensive game to play!!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
If you want a break down send me a pm with your email I will help you out. It can be done cheap and be done right at the same time just have to pick your parts to get.