Duramax / 6.2 swap

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
The swap is not a bolt in by any means. You can try the link in my sig for some pictures of my build that is far from complete. There is also a thread in here with a fair amount of info.

Do a search on swaps, as much has been previously discussed here.

Unfortunately, if you are not doing the swap yourself, you will spend thousands in labor to get someone else to do it.

The van 4L80E is the easiest & you can search on ebay for a DVD of info for this swap.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
there really isnt to many ways to do this with out haveing to worry about the transcase unless you just switch the front axle to a ford dana 60 then you can just use a duramax and ally and a tanscase out of a new style truck and have every thing that you want plus most times you sell or trade your dana 60 for ford dana 60

Mike in KY

Jul 4, 2009
OK, let's say I purchase a salvage truck with the Dmax, Allison & TC, and then obtained a Ford Dana 60. Now what? Will I also need the on-board computer from the salvage truck to make things work? Remember it will be installed in a 1986 truck.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
OK, let's say I purchase a salvage truck with the Dmax, Allison & TC, and then obtained a Ford Dana 60. Now what? Will I also need the on-board computer from the salvage truck to make things work? Remember it will be installed in a 1986 truck.

The guys have pretty much outlined what you need to do...go back to Smokeshow's posts....

Fab motor mounts, new trans Xmember location, stand-alone wiring harness (available thru PPE I think), replumb the fuel system and fit the radiator/IC and then figure out any gremlins/bugs in the system like what Ferminator outlined.

As for the 6.2, I thought a person could add some of the newer 6.5 parts (turbo, FI pump) to it to wake it up?

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
part of the electronics that I'm unsure about is the shifting/control of the allison for these swaps. I know Braydon with fleece can make a "stand alone" harness to control the allison but I have no idea what is done about the actual shift lever, or tow/haul button in the shift lever if the steering column from an HD truck isn't installed in the truck. It's been done w/o the steering column from the HD being utilized, I'm just unsure of exactly how. Same deal with the tap shift controls if it's an 06+ truck with the 6-spd allison.

IMO, if you aren't going to be hot-rodding it hard or doing 4wd boosted launches or mud bogging or sled pulling or hitting OD at WOT, I think you could probably get the 4l80/85 with an np205 behind it to last pretty good at the 400-450rwhp range. But I'd try to use the dmax/allison/261 combo if at all possible. So much more potential and just better components but certainly not the easier path.

This evening, I'll post a little inspirational video for ya. ;) A fellow kentuckian did this back before there were stand alone harnesses and such. He put an LB7 with an nv4500 5-spd manual behind it with an np205 bolted to it in an 87 chevy crew cab long bed and did some sled pulling with it. It was a thing of beauty but the diesel sled pulling became too costly and he lost interest and sold it. Last I knew, it was in TN.

I too love the alli but it definitely adds a dimension of difficulty to the mix beings how it drops on the "wrong" side for the application. God help your bank account if you have someone do the conversion for you!! I can't imagine the man hours it would take. Actually I can, LOTS OF THEM!!

Good luck though, I really do hope you go through with this and make it a reality!

C-ya

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
There is someone on Ebay that has been selling a CD on what they did to swap a Duramax into a Pre-88. Lonnie also has a thread on here somewhere. It is already a nice looking truck, and it isn't done.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I have purchased that CD as has Lonnie. It's alright. Not a real good step by step guide by any means but if you get one iota of info from it, it's worth the few dollars it cost to buy it IMO.

It's mostly revolves around an LBZ/LLY and 4l85 from a van going into an 88 square body GM truck like in question here. There isn't a lot of wiring help for older models of the dmax.

Henry on here can probably get you any diagrams you deam necessary to help with parts and wiring. ;) He's a huge asset!!!

C-ya

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
his name on flea-bay and the place is Pussow. I got the cd also. alot of good info. but kinda dissapointed. the wiring diagrams were not all that great. Especially the hand written ones. But it's more info than nothing. And there is plenty of info on here and the Place to get it all figured out. If not, then you can ask the questions.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
i just got efi live for my truck witch has really slowed me down on th plan of selling it and buying a 67-72 chevy and putting a duramax in and making it a pulling truck. there isnt a better looking truck ever made than that body style and there isnt a better diesel motor than a duramax so 2 plus 2 makes 4 but i am just haveing to much fun playing with the truck now and dont want to sell it but the wife wants it gone so one of these days i will be doing this hopefuly