Duramax 101?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Is there a thread that breaks down everything to know about something?

Ex: Let's say you want to know everything about turbos start to finish intake to exhaust. How do they work. How much fuel is needed for different turbos? Like what is a pedalstool used for? What is the hot pipe? What is the compressor wheel? What is the turbine wheel? What are safe egts? What is a innercooler? Which aftermarket turbos do what? Smaller or bigger turbos and what each does. Or let's say you want to know everything about fuel delivery. Which lift pumps to get, which to stay away from. Is more fuel better? Which size injectors or lpm are needed and are too big for a cp3 pump? Can you have too big injectors for the cp3 to keep up?

We need a kind of wiki for duramax that explains things to those of us that dont understand things, so we don't feel so stupid when we don't understand certain things. A lot of people including myself are still pretty new to the diesel world and want to learn without being bashed for not understanding things that people who know a lot about duramax's. I know I have seen a few really good threads that explain a lot but they are not out in the open easy to find when you come into the forum.......:(

Cmiller

Sep 13, 2012
10-4 I'm with ya I know the everyday mechanics of diesels but like to expand my knowledge. We re some old big block carburetor running fools down here so the diesel racing/pulling/etc is new to me as well.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Yea that's exactly the same here. In can tell you everything to know about Chevys gas vehicles but some of the stuff they talk about on here I'm like huh? Lol

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009

Ex: Let's say you want to know everything about turbos start to finish intake to exhaust. How do they work. How much fuel is needed for different turbos? Like what is a pedalstool used for? What is the hot pipe? What is the compressor wheel? What is the turbine wheel? What are safe egts? What is a innercooler? Which aftermarket turbos do what? Smaller or bigger turbos and what each does. Or let's say you want to know everything about fuel delivery. Which lift pumps to get, which to stay away from. Is more fuel better? Which size injectors or lpm are needed and are too big for a cp3 pump? Can you have too big injectors for the cp3 to keep up?

That's what this whole forum is for. You just have to put forth a small amount of effort and search for the info.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That's what this whole forum is for. You just have to put forth a small amount of effort and search for the info.

I agree. Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but this forum is where I learned almost all of my Duramax information, and I'm a GM diesel tech even! This place if full of info that just needs to be dug up.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I've learned to use the search for a lot of stuff myself. Time consuming yes but for the guys on the board daily, it gets old seeing the same questions asked day after day. And believe it or not most guys here are friendly. You'll see. And if there are *****s, just ignore em. They don't have much of a social life if they're on the forum bullying people. :thumb:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
And learn how to sift through the bullshit you can't believe everything you read online. thats a toough one. read, reasearch, and see if you can find information to back up what you just read.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Yeah
DuramaxDiesiels is the "wiki" of and for the duramax
Keep on keepin on
Think about what your goal is:thinking2:
Take the time to search for each topic individually, use the advanced search option:stop:
Read and re-read, usually there are alternative links to find additional info:book:
Nothing is a secret here, albeit difficult sometimes:secret:
Some if these dudes been around a while, they know wassup:wheelchair:
You better have exhausted your search if you dont want to be bashed, this site has been established for a long time, whats here is here cuz it works, the Duramax has been out for almost 13 years now, the info here is pretty tried and been found to be truth :cop:
If youou cant find info about the DMax on DD it probably is not worth knowing...:roflmao:
jk...
this place is legit

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Yea that's pretty much what I am starting to do. I have spent the last few weeks just reading and reading it pretty crazy some of the stuff you can learn just looking threw these forums.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
It is crazy

Plan wisely friend, it gets crazier when you start putting it together and then it gets just plain stupid when you start breaking and/or building things the right way...at least it feels pretty damn stupid when the wallet comes out
when your right foot goes down it feels good again, and every time thereafter!!!
:driving:

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I do understand what you are saying. The good news is a lot of that type of information is common across vehicles of all types. You might try taking a step back and ignore the Duramax specific stuff right off the bat. Try places like http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/ they have a really awesome technical section that explains turbocharging from the ground up. Maybe it isn't complete, but I can tell you there is way more there than I care to know :D

The hot pipe is a great example of jargon. I don't know if you are going to find anything that says a hot pipe is ..... (it's a pipe that carries exhaust between multiple turbo stages BTW). I also like to go to Google and just type single words like "intercooler." That usually gives a good start to at least learn the language.

It seems sometimes the people most passionate about the "search for it you lazy bastage" in forums are the ones with little knowledge to share, or they're just assholes.

We need a kind of wiki for duramax that explains things to those of us that dont understand things, so we don't feel so stupid when we don't understand certain things. A lot of people including myself are still pretty new to the diesel world and want to learn without being bashed for not understanding things that people who know a lot about duramax's. I know I have seen a few really good threads that explain a lot but they are not out in the open easy to find when you come into the forum.......:(