Question: DSP5 switch question

sneezer03dmax

Dec 1, 2011
question guys...say i wanted to solder in wire leads to each of the 5 positions on the switch and run those to 12v LEDS for a switch plate i'm thinking of making. The LED that corresponds to that position would light next to the tune on the face plate when selected by the knob. Does anyone see any issues, or has anyone had any issues trying to do this? Is it as simple as finding which is positive and negative on the switch, soldering the positive and grounds to the LEDS up right? It all sounds great in my head..but things never go quite like they do in my head :roflmao:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Not sure if I understand correctly, but the DSP5 switch positions change the voltage going to the ECM using resistors in the switch.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
someone has already done this I remember seeing this somewhere. What I would love to see is to be able to name each tune and have it come across the DIC when the tune was changed for 5 seconds. (how awesome would that be?) probly never happen though.

FrankenMax

Mar 30, 2011
Round mountain NV
someone has already done this I remember seeing this somewhere. What I would love to see is to be able to name each tune and have it come across the DIC when the tune was changed for 5 seconds. (how awesome would that be?) probly never happen though.

That would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneezer03dmax

Dec 1, 2011
Not sure if I understand correctly, but the DSP5 switch positions change the voltage going to the ECM using resistors in the switch.

right i get that.. what i want to do is have a separate LED connected to each position on the switch(5 LEDS for a dsp5 switch)..that led would be next to for example your "tow" tune on a custom faceplate and would light up when your tow tune was selected with the switch.. my question is will it affect any of the voltage frequencies comeing or going to the ECM?

Catman..any chance you would remember where you saw this or point me in the right direction? Having the tune come up on the DIC would be sick i agree! i'm not smart enough to figure that out for ya though :D

sneezer03dmax

Dec 1, 2011
catman.. now that you sent me the link i have seen this before.. not sure why I didnt think of it sooner! Thanks again

sneezer03dmax

Dec 1, 2011
i would like to a setup similar but have only the LED light up when I select the tune it corresponds with which would mean tapping the LED wires into the switch. Do any of you guys see an issue with doing this? I have a pretty good understanding of how the switch changes the tunes in the ECM. Want to make sure that these leds wont interfere with the frequency going back to the computer to change tunes.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Kinda thinking that you may have to piggy back a switch to make this work have one for the DSP and one for the LEDs that correspondes with the setting your one. I would get seom LED's and solder them on and see what happened led's hardly draw any amps so it mght work just by having them hooked to the pins on the circuit board for what setting and have a common ground for all five. I bet there is different led's for what voltage your using too.

sneezer03dmax

Dec 1, 2011
i'll have to look into the LED voltages..was over on DP and found a DIY DSP5 switch. going to give that a shot and try the LEDS at the same time.