Driveshaft is history

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
The only problem with having your brother build the shaft is can he balance it after or are you gonna have to send it out to a driveshaft shop after anyway.

I went with 1480s when I twisted my stock steel rear shaft this year. The place I got it from made it the same day and shipped it out the same day. I probably have 30+ hooks on it so far and it's still mint. I can pm you contact info if you want.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
The only problem with having your brother build the shaft is can he balance it after or are you gonna have to send it out to a driveshaft shop after anyway.

I went with 1480s when I twisted my stock steel rear shaft this year. The place I got it from made it the same day and shipped it out the same day. I probably have 30+ hooks on it so far and it's still mint. I can pm you contact info if you want.

I would appreciate it man. And maybe a final cost. I'm leaning away from 1480's after seeing some of the prices. Wow

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
you can always just make the rear joint a 1480 and leave the front joint alone.

Ya I just need something strong enough to hold about 600hp and maybe a little more torque than I have now. I got ur pm and I appreciate the link. I'm shopping around now and I will b calling the shop that did yours.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
you can always just make the rear joint a 1480 and leave the front joint alone.

Is there a reason to go bigger on one than the other? I can see if you have a ton of axle wrap and the pinion angle goes to $hit, but if not the only thing you did was move the weak link (and the front of the shaft dropping down is worse than the rear dropping as it becomes a pole vault....unless you have loops).

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Let me ask u guys this question, is it a bad idea to run a steel shaft for a DD? I like driving my truck too much to make it a dedicated puller. Should I look at thicker walled aluminum or keep going with the steel idea?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Properly balanced a steel shaft will be just fine. A lot of trucks come from the factory with them. My ext cab short bed has a steel shaft.

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Ok I'm having probs deciding on a shaft. I've made up my mind to go with 1480's but I keep reading more and more about vibration probs with steel shafts in crew cab short beds. I measured mine at 69 3/4" long. I called a shop and he said he won't do anything over 60". Then I called another guy and he said he doesn't like doing it but he will. What the heck r all these high hp race/pull trucks running for a rear shaft? I know guys with rc/lb and ec/sb arent having issues cause they r around 60-61".

Last edited:

JakeBrakeIH

Dec 24, 2010
Yaphank, NY
Most guys run a 4" steel shaft. Sure, probably not the best on the highway but it will hold the power and take the abuse.

That's what I have in my ccsb. I drove to all of the pulls I attended and put about 15k on the steel shaft this year. No problems except my yoke "cap" to hold the t-case fluid came out. New yoke and I was back in business.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
So a properly balanced steel shaft would b ok to dd and race? I really want the strength of the steel but I like daily driving my truck too much to sacrifice drivability.

zacwht20

Feb 4, 2011
Auburn, IL
Just saw this thread... i have yokes if you need them off my old driveshaft...Going to the Saints/Rams game sunday i can just drop the whole driveshaft off to ya if you want

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I appreciate the offer zac, Im going to go with 1480 u joints I think. I pulled my slip yoke off just in case I needed it. But for a little extra cash I can upgrade.

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
Greensburg Machine can do what you need and ship it to you. They made me a 4" steel one for my EC/SB. They can do whatever you need and are pretty reasonable and great to deal with (especially compared to what the shops are wanting for fancy aluminum ones)

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I just switch to a Steel one this weekend and yes you do feel a little more of the road but I can't complain its not much different then my aluminum.