Drag racing questions?????

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes the shocks are adjustable

The truck with the same suspension set up last year cut 1.6 and ran like a scolded ape it the same tcm tune as last year nothing changed in that regards

I changed a few things and now it won't do it hell it might just be the driver....
Just trying to get things figured out on this truck

You changed things up, doesn't mean everything else should work the same or better right out the gate. You have to dial it all back in ;)

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
I know it's just frustrating trying to figure this at the end of day the truck really needs to dynoed tuned but damn that's a long drive from where I live

I will just practice some more on Friday and maybe get it data logged again here soon

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Get off the idea it's ECM tuning. I see plenty of things in the suspension and other areas besides ECM tuning that need work that would cut your time.

Stiffen up the ass end of that truck, stick an camera from the back like in your last video and see how the truck is hopping. A little more rebound in the front shocks wouldn't hurt. Change the tcm tune to incorporate lock up when it should or get a lock up box. Play with air pressure.

IMHO, you are making more power than before but you can't get it to the ground. No clue if the old setup made more power but based on what I'm seeing, your blowing things out from too much power. Part of that is in the converter and part of that is in your launch.

02duramaxfan

May 13, 2013
virginia
Well since it's blowing through the converter would that hurt my trap speed... I understand I need to change some things on my suspension set up to get it to launch perfect... I was disappointed in my overal trap speed 95 to me is not very good... Hell stock motors truck trap higher then that....I want to see 100+

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well since it's blowing through the converter would that hurt my trap speed... I understand I need to change some things on my suspension set up to get it to launch perfect... I was disappointed in my overal trap speed 95 to me is not very good... Hell stock motors truck trap higher then that....I want to see 100+

yes.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I need to get my 60' down. Last year I was cutting 1.81's. I just went to the track Friday night and the best I could cut was a 1.88. I have traction bars now too and didn't last year. Only thing I changed was I didn't run any air in my bags this year. Last year I left 10lbs in them with springs clamped. I also added dmaxstore xd tie rods this winter too along with a lot more power. I don't get it.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Different power means your gonna have to make some more changes to suspension and tires to get dialed in. It's not going to be like last year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So you're only running 13.07 at 103 with that list of mods? WTF is that all about?

Heavy wheels/tires, poor suspension design/setup, mis-matched combination of parts? tuning not well-matched to list of parts? full weight truck? driver error?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
So you're only running 13.07 at 103 with that list of mods? WTF is that all about?

Heavy wheels/tires, poor suspension design/setup, mis-matched combination of parts? tuning not well-matched to list of parts? full weight truck? driver error?
I was going to ask about his wheel tire combo. They could be 22" wheels on 38s. It could be a list of things.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Ya I couldn't believe it was only a 13.07 after turbo up pipes and everything.

I'm a ccsb, I stripped back seat, spare tire and receiver. Only things I didn't pull were passenger battery and tail gate. I was at 1/4 fuel also.

Tires are 295/55 on 20x9s. My front end is completely de cranked, trac bars and springs clamped.

The thing I don't get is last year I was cutting 1.81 60's and running 13.62 on stock trans.

Here's a few videos from the track last Friday.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VORhLE_F7Ug
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKC1DdrrFUk

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
No switch. Was running in tow haul. I would assume i was around 7300 with the stuff I took off. My data log shows I left around 15psi on that last video in cab

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
No switch. Was running in tow haul. I would assume i was around 7300 with the stuff I took off. My data log shows I left around 15psi on that last video in cab

Its not that heavy. Id say more like 6800. How does it feel off the line? Does it scare you or is it like pulling out of a stoplight? When I would leave around 15 with a vvt, it felt like the trans was going to come throught the floor.

EDIT: just watched the video, something isnt right. Thats the slowest 15psi launch Ive ever seen.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Well **** if I'm at 6800 then I'm only putting down like 500... I can launch 20psi on black top and it just hooks and makes me feel like my eyeballs are in the back of my head lol