Down pipe

Eric h

Jun 19, 2014
Just installed new mbrp black down pipe and a 5 inch magnaflow and on the mayden voige about 2 miles down the road I coupld smell something burning and could see smoke. I think it was just the powder coat and all
The cutting oil burning off.. On the second drive no more smoke and very little smell but when I stoped and checked everything it just seems too hot under te hood and the edge of my hood above the turbo is a little white. I did take the turbo heat shield off to make the down pipe easyier to take out and install. What do you guys think? Do I have a severe problem or is this normal

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
What year truck? Is the dp seated all the way into the turbo and band clamp tight with no leaks? Ive heard the lmls need a small bit of trimming on the flange that slips inside the turbo

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I wouldn't run the turbo hard without a heat shield of some sort in place...

The new downpipe and exhaust were just burning off cutting oils and what not, nothing to worry about there. However, the potential is there for the insulation around the turbo and downpipe to eventually turn to dust, or worse smolder and/or catch fire.

I'd contact Levi @ TurboPerformance and get one of his turbo socks/blankets and I'd also wrap the downpipe with some header wrap, like the titanium edition header wrap from DEI...

Running a turbo blanket will help a tiny bit with spool up by keeping all the heat (energy) isolated to the turbine and also help to keep under hood temps lower. Wrapping the downpipe will also help to keep engine bay temps down, transfer less heat to the cab and is just a good measure, you might also consider spraying it with the header wrap spray from DEI too
:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No shield won't hurt anything as long as the sound deadening isn't torn up. It has a tendency to light up when torn up next to the down pipe or next to the turbo.

I've been without one for the last 6 months cause I'm too lazy to put Levi's blanket back on the turbo lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
You guys are DANGEROUS!!!
:eek:
Livin life on the edge...
Like a compulsive eater with diabetes working in a doughnut shop...Like a sexaholic in the red light district with a condom that's been in his wallet for 6mo...like Mike L at a Petting Zoo in England...:mikelsheep:

:roflmao:

JK-Fkr's
I never had any issues in the short time I ran without a heat shield or wrap...but this guy is already stating his insulation is turning white, so why not steer him on the safe side...
:hug:

Eric h

Jun 19, 2014
It's a lbz and the insulatin seems ok it's just a little white on the paint on the back of the hood. The down pipe should be seated all the way if I got the v clp on correct?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Most of the pictures I have seen for wrap on the downpipes appears to be inadequate, the first being how long will it last...

Regarding the turbo is it a heat shield or scatter shield or is it doing double duty as both for the turbo, the gauge of metal it is manufactured from is pretty heavy to just be a heat shield...

Eric h

Jun 19, 2014
Also what kind of egts re you seeing cause mine spike fast to like 14-1550 and it was just the top heat shield on the turbo

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Most of the pictures I have seen for wrap on the downpipes appears to be inadequate, the first being how long will it last...

Regarding the turbo is it a heat shield or scatter shield or is it doing double duty as both for the turbo, the gauge of metal it is manufactured from is pretty heavy to just be a heat shield...

if parts come through the turbine housing, the housing was broke, cracked and straight shot to begin with to the point it most likely leaked drive pressure like a SOB before any part of the turbine went through the housing. the heat shield still wouldnt do much in stopping at parts.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

if parts come through the turbine housing, the housing was broke, cracked and straight shot to begin with to the point it most likely leaked drive pressure like a SOB before any part of the turbine went through the housing. the heat shield still wouldnt do much in stopping at parts.

I was expecting a comment about heat shields or is it a scatter shield...........:rofl:

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
i ran my LB7 for 3 years without the heat shield after I painted the exhaust housing and polished the compressor cover without a problem

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
As thick as the turbine housing is I think you would need about a pound of TNT to get through it :rofl: