Down pipe

fishooker

Nov 27, 2008
Florida
Didn't know where to post this? I am looking at the diamond eye downpipe and the mbrp downpipe which one fits better or are they about the same?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
From what I have seen they fit about the same. The Diamond Eye comes heat wrapped and a little bit better made.

On edit: apparently the DE is just better all around - fit and finish.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Diamond Eye fit great and is well built. I reccomend it to others.:thumb:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
My MBRP didn't fit too well. Like Brian said, my band clamp on the turbo won't clamp down like the OE pipe did, had to file it down to fit in the housing. And my trans dipstick didn't bolt back up to the bellhousing like it came off.

fishooker

Nov 27, 2008
Florida
Just ordered the diamond eye downpipe. If all goes well will be installing next week.

Last edited:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
If you have a little time on your hands and know how to weld, you could make your own for about half the cost of buying one... If not, I've read good stuff about the DE one.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The DE is a very good piece. The only issue I've ever seen (rare) is the potential for the lower mount to crack. This can be mitigated by using a shoulder bolt so the bottom can "float" a little. Use a lockwasher but don't "crush" it, so it keeps it from rattling, but allows it to move a little.

HP gains start at about 2800rpm? and increase as RPM rises, but there is no loss at lower RPM's. The two curves overlay each other until 2800, then the DE pulls away.

I no longer sell them, simply because we are getting out of "hard-part" sales, but I still recommend them.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
HP gains start at about 2800rpm? and increase as RPM rises, but there is no loss at lower RPM's. The two curves overlay each other until 2800, then the DE pulls away.

So about where the screaming sound used to begin is where the gains pick up ?

fishooker

Nov 27, 2008
Florida
Saw over on diesel place that this eliminates the jet engine sound at wot, if this is true i am curious as to why a downpipe could affect this. Isn't this from the variable vain?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
So this does get rid of the jet plane?

At idle, no that's in the turbo vane position tuning and can be easily taken care of with EFI Live. I also never noticed it getting rid of it at WOT on my truck, had it on there with a stock turbo and with a Cheetah - both still sounded like a jet. Before and after on Chris's LBZ sounded the same to me too.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
It didn't totally go away but it's definitely toned down quite a bit. Mine was abnoxiously loud before though