Doin' the Rear Diff this weekend...

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
OK, so I'm going to attempt the rear diff fluid change this weekend. I need 4qts 75-90 gear lube, and a pump to get it in the filler hole. A pan to catch the old fluid. Sockets, etc. Anything else while I'm under there?

Thanks in Advance

Ray

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
I don't do too much 4WD. That's next however. I gotta take baby steps.

I'm back to doing my own service (oil etc.) since I got rid of the bimmer. This place is a wealth of information for all things Duramax and truck in general. I don't think I would have the confidence to do half the crap I am doing without the guidance I get from these pages.

Oh, I forgot... besides oil and tools, I have a case of Red Hook ESB ice cold in the fridge.

:D

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just got done changing my fluids a little while ago. I can't remember the socket size for the fill plug, but the drain is a 3/8 drive square deal. The drain is on the very bottom. The steps I took were.
1. Remove fill plug to make sure you can get fluid back in once you drain it.
2. Place a drain pan directly under the diff and remove the drain plug.
3. I let it drain while I went and grabbed my oil and pump.
4. I then wiped off the drain plug and reinstalled, not sure on torque specs.
5. I then pumped the 4qts into the diff, I ended up maybe 1/2" or less below the fill hole.
6. I put the fill plug back in, not sure on torque specs.

I am getting into my own servicing as well. I have also done my front diff, T case and trans. Hope this helps.

DieselDaze

Midnight Maniac
Oct 26, 2008
Tulsa, OK
4 qts? I thought is was fill just below the filler hole, like within 1/2".. Does is spec 4 qrts? if so I need to add more I have 3 in mine and maybe wasn't as level as i thought i was..

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
75-90 gear oil smells like poo.
Used or new, that stuff smells something awful.

I'll switch to synthetic when I do the front. I'll do both with amsoil when I get more cash.

Wasn't hard, just the smell. :eek:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
gotta love gear oil :barf: Any clothing it touches stinks permiantly! I have a work jacket that anytime i wash it, throw it in the dryer and the smell is back :mad:

FIY: When i service my diffs on full-float rearends i like to pop the wheel covers off and and remove the axles so i can swab and washout the axle tubes aswell as cleaning the hell out of the diff, case, internals with brake cleaner and compressed air. you'ed be surpirsed how much nasty crap washes out of there thats going to end up in your fresh lube. This is also an exellent time to check your rear axle seals, bearings, gears for wear and adjustments. take care of it and it will take care of you! AND remember if ypu pull the axles the truck can roll!!! so make sure you block the front tires or put the rear on jackstands! And you can pull full-floater axles with the truck pon the ground, tires on and all very quickly. Just tryin to help some! :hug:

LASTMIKE

22' truck club
Oct 23, 2008
AnyCal
I am running mobil 1 75w-90 in both front and rear. Had some goo come out of the front when i drained it, almost like there was moisture in it but not bad though. I did not drain the rear due to it leaking where the axle tube on the drivers side is pressed into the center section from a accident which is getting replaced soon.

BMGhauler

Dec 4, 2008
My house
I did not drain the rear due to it leaking where the axle tube on the drivers side is pressed into the center section from a accident which is getting replaced soon.

I doubt that's from the accident. I'm on my third housing for the same leak. No accidents. Warrantied every time. Many others have had the same leak as well.