Do I need new shocks or?

chevyxam

Nov 12, 2019
Bare with me here. New Poster. I have a 2002 2500HD Duramax that relatively new to me. 210,000 miles

I've had most of the front end rebuilt with the exception the shocks and steering sector.

With that said. When I hit a crack in the road I can hear a thunk sound. Would that indicate I need new shocks or could it be something else. I don't know how old the current ones are.

Secondly, my tires have cupped. Tires are worn and need replacing but I'd like to fix what needs fixing prior to buying tires.

I don't do off the road stuff and I only pull a 7000 lb car trailer occasionally. 72 year old guy here.

I hope the group would share your experiences with me.

chevyxam

Nov 12, 2019
Benny315 sir,

Truck came from California 18 months ago and I'm in MN. I am using the correct PSI. It could be that I'm not describing the wear correctly. I'll take a picture of two. I don't know if I can post pictures being new here. I'll find out.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
need to check over the whole front end still. very well could have bad parts depending on what was used. is the front end cranked or at stock height?

clunk over expansion joints is usually upper ball joints, shocks, sway bar end links (not really the case on ours but could be), loose diff mounts, loose torsion bar mounts/bushings, or we start getting into body parts like bumpers, cab mounts and so on. whoooooole lot that can be the issue and not easy for us to diag over the net