Dirty Duramax Patrol

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
Hi all

Had a conversation a couple of nights ago...

Me: Do you care if I put a new motor in the Patrol?
Wife: Do I get a say?
Me: Not really.
Wife: Will it make it go?
Me: Yep!

So I take that to be the approval to start on the conversion project.

Current rig:
Nissan Patrol GU IV (2005)
ZD30 auto (3.0L mechanical injection)
Chipped, 3" exhaust, boost actuator on VNT, upgraded intercooler
Roof rack, storage drawers, 2" lift, 33" ATZ

Plan:
6.6L Duramax LBZ with 6 speed Allison
Haven't yet decided on what to do in terms of go harder bits.

So yep. It's another Aussie with another patrol. I guess we're all inspired down here by Heath (PID Diesel) and other similar guys who started these conversions a few years ago.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Those Nissan Patrol frames look pretty beefy but are they up to the TQ and weight of a Dmax? Glad the wife is "all in"....:)

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
The weight isn't an issue. The motor is similar weight to the 4.2L in line 6 cylinder they used to come from the factory with. Not so sure about the torque... It's common for people to stick LS series petrol V8s in these vehicles. There are a couple of places that I will laminate the chassis rails to make sure.

I don't intend to race it but I will be towing our camper all around Aus.

Sent from somewhere I wish I wasn't.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Dumb question. How hard is it to get a truck shipped over there? Then you could be one of the few with an actual dmax truck in aus.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
Not very hard actually. There's people bringing whole vehicles all the time. Heaps of mustangs and stuff like that.

For where I drive, a full size American truck is just too large. They don't fit through the tracks when out wheeling. In the city, they are just too big for everywhere.

We sit on the right side (and correct side :woott:) so the whole LHD thing is an issue too. I think it's fairly easy to get LHD approval in Victoria though.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
So here's the list of bits I'm thinking of using from Dirty Hooker Diesels:
3" Y bridge, Tow Pro up pipes

I am aware of the pinched exhaust manifold on the LHS so I'll replace that.

I'll use an AirDog fuel pump. Not sure what size pump I need yet.

I have been looking at gauges and programmers. I like the look of the Edge Evolution CTS. I like that it can program as well as be the gauges. I do have to find a reputable tuner for the tunes though.

In the Allison, I'm thinking of a valve body upgrade. I'm not looking for massive power so I don't think I'll worry about a built tranny just yet. The ZD30 is turning 135HP on 33" tyres now so getting 300HP is going to be a massive jump. I think it will be enough for "normal" driving.

So much stuff to research and bits to get. I haven't even purchased the motor and gearbox yet.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
I'll be at least removing the EGR, and the stock pipes look really restrictive...

The prefab manifolds look like they sit out further than the stock ones. If they do, it won't fit in the vehicle. Everything's pretty close to the chassis rails even with the stock manifolds.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
So I've been reading up on shift kits for the Allison. It appears that people are generally happy with the TransGo Jr.

Question. Can you reset the TCU to learn mode using an Edge monitor?

I see it is common to reroute the PCV. Is it just as good to pass it through a catch can back to the standard intake port?
I won't be able to get engineering without PCV connected.

I think I will be going with EFI Live tunes. Not sure who from yet though. Any suggestions on good economy tunes?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Transgo isn't a shift kit really its helps the trans hold more power.

No

No real point in the PVC reroute IMO. The EGR now is very important.

Many good tuners Mark, Tony, Kory, and ETC. Mark would be my choice if I ever pay someone to tune my truck, but thats because I will probably end up with one of his turbos.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

EagleBay

Jan 20, 2015
Gday, any updates on this?
Researching my own GUIV conversion at the moment exciting times!
I'm from Perth which makes it a bit harder as I don't think there isn't many people doing drive in/out conversions here, happy to do the majority of the installation myself though. Been in touch with locals doing it which has been helpful..

Are you going to use the factory radiator or go aftermarket?
Killa custom doing your harness? I've been looking into BT Diesel Work's harnesses lately, they look great but not really plug and play for the Patrol though, how hard can it be haha

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
Work is getting in the way...

Motor and transmission are being crated up ready for transport.
I've been looking at heaps of info online and harassing people in the know. At this stage I think I need to see the motor in the flesh to check some details before I buy too many bits.

I will definitely put a 3" y bridge on. Either DHD, Profab or PID (Heath).
I will put new up pipes on to help keep EGT lower as well.

I know the 4.8L patrol tiptronic shifter can be made to work with the Allison so I will use that instead of separate shift up/down switches.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
So I've just ordered some bits from DHD.
3" Y bridge
LHS LML manifold
Full gasket kit and transgojr
2" up pipes

Expecting the motor to arrive in a couple of weeks.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
So there was a hold up in shipping but I have now received the parts from DHD.

And the big news is that the motor has arrived this week.

Getting real keen to get started on this now. Will be ordering the adapter plates and other major bits next week.

Bosvelk

May 5, 2013
Gday, any updates on this?
Researching my own GUIV conversion at the moment exciting times!
I'm from Perth which makes it a bit harder as I don't think there isn't many people doing drive in/out conversions here, happy to do the majority of the installation myself though. Been in touch with locals doing it which has been helpful..

Are you going to use the factory radiator or go aftermarket?
Killa custom doing your harness? I've been looking into BT Diesel Work's harnesses lately, they look great but not really plug and play for the Patrol though, how hard can it be haha

Im in perth as you know ;)
happy to help with wiring so far it doesnt seem to bad...
and i have met some one else from mandurah who has done his own wiring too

weggs

Aug 5, 2015
Hi Guys,

I'm in Freo and also looking at putting a Duramax in a 2010 Patrol.

Do you mind if I ask where you sourced your engine and gearbox from and how much you paid?
I'm just trying to figure out how much is saved by importing and installing yourself compared to buying an install over here.

Having trouble finding places that will sell a LMM or LML + Allison 1000 with all parts and wiring harness etc attached.

DirtyJ

Dec 7, 2014
I got a LBZ with everything needed for the transplant from Brad at The Chop Shop in Canada. By the time I received it in Melbourne, it cost $10200AUD including all fees, duty etc. At that time i got $0.72USD/$1AUD.

weggs

Aug 5, 2015
I got a LBZ with everything needed for the transplant from Brad at The Chop Shop in Canada. By the time I received it in Melbourne, it cost $10200AUD including all fees, duty etc. At that time i got $0.72USD/$1AUD.

That's a pretty attractive price!

Cheers!