LLY: Different overheater

04llygmc

Jan 10, 2007
Argos, Indiana
Ok here's the problem. My truck has developed an overheating issue in the last few days. I just replaced both thermostats and checked them before I installed (hot water on the stove), I replaced the water pump about 10k ago( new pump not reman.). I don't have pressure in the cooling system. The upper radiator hose is not stiff when cold. Fan clutch is working properly as I can hear the fan kick on. And the strange thing is that the upper hose is hot to the touch and the lower hose is very cool compared to the top after runnning. Is my pump bad again? No coolant coming from the weep hole. Any thought or ideas? I am completely lost. Thanks for any and all help.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
If you have no coolant running through your radiator, as suggested, then your fan should stay off.

What rpm do you run? If the pump is going bad, rpm could be the culprit, cavitation. What coolant do you use?

Also, a highly restricted rad will worsten cavitation. If the bottom hose is cool, you may be down on flow.

Did you have an overheater before the pump change?

Details please.

04llygmc

Jan 10, 2007
Argos, Indiana
If you have no coolant running through your radiator, as suggested, then your fan should stay off.

What rpm do you run? If the pump is going bad, rpm could be the culprit, cavitation. What coolant do you use?

Also, a highly restricted rad will worsten cavitation. If the bottom hose is cool, you may be down on flow.

Did you have an overheater before the pump change?

Details please.

Rarely gets over 3500 rpm. I am still using dexcool. My truck has never gotten hot, but I don't pull heavy. My fan is definitely running when temp gets up. If I run low rpm/speed 35mph or slower the truck will cool down and stay at 230ish coming down from 260ish. Thanks for the help.

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
Rarely gets over 3500 rpm. I am still using dexcool. My truck has never gotten hot, but I don't pull heavy. My fan is definitely running when temp gets up. If I run low rpm/speed 35mph or slower the truck will cool down and stay at 230ish coming down from 260ish. Thanks for the help.

That's where mine would ride when my water pump went. It tried to spin off the shaft and got into the housing. That one was a reman though, now has a new one. Mine never leaked out of the weap hole either. :confused:

Last edited:

04llygmc

Jan 10, 2007
Argos, Indiana
Good call on the water pump guys. Took it apart yesterday and the impeller was not spinning on the shaft. Replaced with a reman unit and all is well now. Except for on the test run my right rear caliper decided it had enough and starting puking brake fluid out of it.