Diesel Smell in the cab

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
So I was driving down the freeway, windows up, A/C on (recirculating into the cab). Suddenly there was an over whelming smell of diesel in cab, it lasted for about two minutes. I got off at the next exit and pulled over to check for any fuel leaks or anything. When I got out of the truck, same thing, strong diesel smell. looked everywhere and NADA. My truck doesnt even have 2600 miles on it yet.

I called the dealership, luckily I pass it every day on the way to/from work. Pulled in and they looked at it for about 15 mins.

Official Diagnosis: "I have no idea what it could be, never heard of this before"
I have seen a thread about this somewhere, dont remember where, and i cant find it.

Maybe a Regen? :confused:

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Raw diesel fuel or exhaust smell?

Exactly. If exhaust, check the flaps on the cab vents.

Why do you use recirc? I think I have used it twice when outside temps were at or over 100* and it still didn't help much. I much prefer to keep positive pressure in the cab for all sorts of reasons.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
did they still have downpipe issue in the new ones with them being loose or whatever

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
Only time I had that smell was from the down pipe. When it went into regen, there was some sort of leak in the down pipe area. Dealer tried to adjust via bulletin, but didn't work. I removed the DPF and CAT (with stock down pipe still in place) and haven't had the smell since.

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
Maybe I should tell them that and explain to them that the it happened when it went into Regen and that the DPF and DEF tank needs to be removed, (and keep the warranty intact)

Will it fly you think?

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
Maybe I should tell them that and explain to them that the it happened when it went into Regen and that the DPF and DEF tank needs to be removed, (and keep the warranty intact)

Will it fly you think?

Yeah - um....I wish!! :D I believe I remember some folks had luck with the dealer doing what was specified in the bulletin. Others like myself didn't. I planned to leave it stock until the warranty was done, but once I kept having the issue...I took it all off.

Hope the dealer is able to get you some relief.

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
Ill keep it stock for a while, but I keep having issues, this may be a compelling argument to them to keep my warranty, but let me ditch the emissions stuff.

DuramaxDale

Oct 12, 2011
Smell in cab

Check your Diesel Efficiency Fluid system. There is a scrubber and a cat converter inline. Are you adding cleaner to your diesel at every fill up?

iPhattMatt

Looking for a new job!!
Sep 2, 2011
Moorpark, CA
I have only used 1 bottle of additive so far in the hand full of fill ups i have needed. I called the dealership today and asked the to do some research and look at a bulletin I found in another forum. So it's going into for service on Monday. Hopefully they fix it...

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
I currently have a customer who has this same complaint on his '11. I could never duplicate his issue but during an inspection for any signs of soot leaks i found some inside the upper shield of the turbo, but no real signs of it coming from the down pipe.
So for him I ordered an all new down pipe and clamps to install, because to get these off it looks like its gonna be a cab puller and I,m not going all the way there just to inspect, clean and reinstall an old part! It will be awhile because getting his truck away from him and finding a time slot in my schedule is tough. I'll post results when i get some.