Diesel Mechanic Northern NJ

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
Where do I start...
Just over a year ago I thought it was time, puking coolant hard hose but than I noticed I had a leak on the coolant line to the turbo. Fixed that things seemed good, but shortly after I noticed a wet spot under the front of the truck, sure enough waterpump was weeping. Had that one fixed and all seemed good until a few weeks ago.

Over the last 3-4 months I had noticed a small drop in MPG shortly after a put new tires on, there Wrangler MTRs and I run them kinda soft so that was expected and I havent recalculated the computer for the slightly bigger tire. Took a trip to the Outer Banks, NC and was happy to see my temps actually were running cool and the fan was pretty non existant, figured maybe that was the newish mouthpiece upgrade. As the fall/winter approached and the temps started to drop I really took a hit in MPG and engine temps were super low. I run my PPE on level 3 all the time but had never used it to read codes. Plugged it in no codes, but I started to monitor temps. Quick trips I was lucky to see 135, highway runs at 75-80 mph maybe 175-185. Started to pay more attention to the coolant and noticed it was low and hose was hard again in the AM on occasion. If I was able to get the truck up to temp it would sometimes purge coolant. I put a small soda bottle on the overflow tube to see if It was purging any other time and sure enough it was ever so slightly. I would usually dump it back in and on occasion when opening the cap it would degas. Was driving to work "fooling around" and hitting it hard at the lights and cruising pretty good on the highway. Got to work and was curious, checked the bottle and it was totally full. Let it cool all day checked the hose it was kinda hard and when I went to open the cap the pressure pushed out even more coolant and a bunch of air. Refilled with what came out and topped it off with my "just in case fluids" in the tool box. Drove home and just as I was getting there low coolant warning shows. Next AM I go to fill and hose is super hard, open it up woosh comes air. Opened the bleeder topped off the tank closed it all up and figured HEAD GASKET time but decided it wouldn't hurt to change the thermostats to at least rule them out.

So I just changed the thermostats and bang temps a great now!!

Only problem is my hose will stay hard 24/7 and the coolant level seems to keep dropping. I have never had an issue with in cab temps but I only got heat when I was driving and I blew cold when I came to a stop. I've bled the system many times and when I do it seriously blows out coolant and air. But once its out the heat works perfect. Problem is it seems like either I haven't gotten it all out or everytime I drive I keep adding more!! I'm leaning toward the 2nd one...

I just blocked the egr and bypassed the cooler but I still have air and haven't had much time to drive but the few times I have no puke but hard hose in the AM.

So there is my story...

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
Coolant compression test or Glow Plug... I haven't done either, but the shop did one on the cooling system to verify waterpump fix a year ago.

I don't have the tester or "shop air" at the house to do a glow plug test.
Honestly I'm kinda afraid to break a glow plug.

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Sounds exactly what my lb7 was doing. Unfortunately it is head gaskets, being that you don't have injector cups i would rule that if it was a lb7, if i were you just do head gaskets and studs and call it a day. Give me a ring if you want, 203.885.5202.

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
Thanks, might just give ya a call!
Not that i'm scared to do the work, turned a few wrenches on friends projects. More hesitant because its "my truck" and i would be pissed if I f'd it up! Where about are ya located in CT? Would you be willing to do them? Or if i decide to man up and do it myself could you lend a hand? My buddy has a decent place to work, just not the most "complete" set of tools.

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
I am right on the NY border but i work at my buddies shop which is about an hour and half north of me. I would not be hesitant to help you out, only nice thing is that we send the heads out to be decked and we have a place that does a fantastic job and does all our 6.0 liter powerstroke heads not far from the shop, and we have all the right tools ;)

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
I am right on the NY border but i work at my buddies shop which is about an hour and half north of me. I would not be hesitant to help you out, only nice thing is that we send the heads out to be decked and we have a place that does a fantastic job and does all our 6.0 liter powerstroke heads not far from the shop, and we have all the right tools ;)

Sounds like a plan, I was gonna pick up a HG kit from Merchant Auto and Studs. Looks like that will set me back just about a Grand. That is unless you have a better suggestion/hookup.

I'll give ya a call, we can hammer out the details.