Diesel Catalyst Replacement

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
In CA, Some one I know had the catalysts cut off when they stole his truck. They Caught the guy unloading the truck but didn't find the catalysts. The sawsall was even still in the truck when this person retrieved it from impound.

I contacted the dealer and GM has Discontinued the Catalyst for the older trucks. LB7, LLY, LBZ trucks.

So I went online searching for a correct replacement. I can not find any replacement's that are CA certified. They all say 46 state legal, Not for sale or use in CA or the other 3 states that follow CA emission requirements. Also Say's they won't ship to those states....

Technically it is illegal for shops or junkyards to sell used or re-certified catalyst.

So other than the occasional person parting out a truck, and hoping to get lucky, How is someone supposed to be in compliance of the Law ???

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
In CA, Some one I know had the catalysts cut off when they stole his truck. They Caught the guy unloading the truck but didn't find the catalysts. The sawsall was even still in the truck when this person retrieved it from impound.

I contacted the dealer and GM has Discontinued the Catalyst for the older trucks. LB7, LLY, LBZ trucks.

So I went online searching for a correct replacement. I can not find any replacement's that are CA certified. They all say 46 state legal, Not for sale or use in CA or the other 3 states that follow CA emission requirements. Also Say's they won't ship to those states....

Technically it is illegal for shops or junkyards to sell used or re-certified catalyst.

So other than the occasional person parting out a truck, and hoping to get lucky, How is someone supposed to be in compliance of the Law ???
If people moved out of comiefornia, I mean California, then it wouldn't be a problem. Federal LB7 would not be effected as they didn't have a catalyst from the factory.

I find it hard to believe that nobody offers a Cali compliant cat, I also find it hard to believe it would be different than a federal catalyst but I have been wrong before. I know Magnaflow sells a federal compliant replacement for 01-10 trucks but again, non CARB states only.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If people moved out of comiefornia, I mean California, then it wouldn't be a problem. Federal LB7 would not be effected as they didn't have a catalyst from the factory.

I find it hard to believe that nobody offers a Cali compliant cat, I also find it hard to believe it would be different than a federal catalyst but I have been wrong before. I know Magnaflow sells a federal compliant replacement for 01-10 trucks but again, non CARB states only.
In this case it is an LLY truck but I am pretty sure the LB7 would be the same if not identical. I know on the out side it is.

I saw the Magnaflow but apparently they haven't Paid CA to certify it at this time. I highly doubt there is difference between the Fed and the CA units from the factory but you never know.

Any how, during the Inspection process. They will look for the number on the replacement part to make sure it is the correct replacement part for that application...

From what I am coming up with, I do not see any CA certified products from any manufactures at this time.

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Try these guys

Or Walker, even though they don't list the diesel stuff on their website.

I have a front pipe from an LMM I'd send to you if you can't find anything else.
Interesting... I will have to look in to it. It almost sounds like they need something to work backwards off of though.

I didn't see anything from Walker or AP but there stuff is not easy to find either.

I looked at every Name brand parts store, Rock Auto, Even a few Diesel specific parts websites and the ones that do have parts are only Fed compliance parts.

Thank you for the offer!!! I will keep you posted incase we need to go that route.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I guess AP does have a site where you see the full line but still the same issue. Diesel is limited and only goes back to 2007 GMT900 chassis application. Still Only Federal Emissions standard...

AP Diesel.JPG

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Well hopefully he can go that route. I will have to dig on there site to see If I can find the info.
Contact the smog ref, they have to look it up and make sure the Carb approved part isn’t available and isn’t updated. If it’s not they will allow the Federal part to be installed but they will need to inspect the truck

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Contact the smog ref, they have to look it up and make sure the Carb approved part isn’t available and isn’t updated. If it’s not they will allow the Federal part to be installed but they will need to inspect the truck
how does that work for future smog inspections? is there some tag or something the ref puts on the cat for other techs to look up?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yes, that is odd. I found three LLY partouts here in Michigan. If you dont find anything, I can check with that seller. Shipping might be a bit ugly though.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yes, that is odd. I found three LLY partouts here in Michigan. If you dont find anything, I can check with that seller. Shipping might be a bit ugly though.
Thank you!!! I Suspect the shipping would suck.

We have been chasing a lead all week but the seller hasn't committed to a pick up time.

Speaking of parts, weren't you looking for a cab or something?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Someday I'll make a trip out west and buy some new body parts for BBT. Not in the near future, though. Gotta pay for a daughter's wedding next year.

Look at your PMs. That one in the link I sent you looks about brand new.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Someday I'll make a trip out west and buy some new body parts for BBT. Not in the near future, though. Gotta pay for a daughter's wedding next year.

Look at your PMs. That one in the link I sent you looks about brand new.
What do you Need???