Did some trucks come with dual fuel tanks?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
and is the 2nd tank where the spare is mounted?

Didnt I remember seeing a rear tank for sale somewhere?

My spare tire has been in the bed for a while now. And under the truck today I saw that open space where the spare used to be and thouhgt geez that sure would be a nice spot for a meth tank.

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
IIRC only on the cab and chassis models. And yes, it was located where the spare went. I could be wrong though. I have been known to be quite often:D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I measured the area up and designed (with CAD) one of my aluminum tanks to go there. IIRC it would hold just over 22-24 gallons. There was also room for it to be bigger but it wouldn't be hidden from rear.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I'd be happy to test it for you. :)

Just thought a pic would answer many of my endless stupid questions. How does it mount, where is the fill hole, vent hole, drain hole, how low would the bigger tank hang down, how much $$$, what is aprox weight, and shipping on something that size might hurt

Maybe its time to get out west again

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I'd be happy to test it for you. :)

Just thought a pic would answer many of my endless stupid questions. How does it mount, where is the fill hole, vent hole, drain hole, how low would the bigger tank hang down, how much $$$, what is aprox weight, and shipping on something that size might hurt

Maybe its time to get out west again

Good questions...I only designed one to fit.. I only thought about the other stuff off and on...

As far as filling, I was thinking the bottom would be no lower than the factor tank. There would be a 3/4 vent line to the tops of this tank and factory tank. then a 1.%" like from bottom of factory tank (or side to the bottom) to the bottom of the aux tank, that way it would fill both tanks at fill up, sending unit would work correct, and draw from both tanks. Another thought was using a dual tank setup like on the cab and chassis, or a pump to pump from aux to main tank...

The tank I came up with hides behind bumper and is not seen (on a LMM anyway) It could drop down lower for more capacity, but it will be seen.

Price, I could figure up this week. Not too bad for an alum tank. Prolly between 300-400 bucks depending on size (but dont quote me on that yet....

Weight is prolly around 30 lbs depending on size again. Many of my in bed fuel tanks are 30-50 gallon in size and weigh 30-50lbs actually lol.

Shipping thru UPS/FedEx is around 60 bucks for something that size...

EDIT: mounting is an option I havent tried other ways. To frame would be easy and thats where I left off on it....

Last edited:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Also as a W/M tank the options for plumbing are endless....Filler could go behind license plate, or in bed... Or even under the rear fender. A pump like supplied in most W/M kits would plumb right in to the bungs I would weld in. 1 way/check valve cap would vent.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Good questions...I only designed one to fit.. I only thought about the other stuff off and on...

As far as filling, I was thinking the bottom would be no lower than the factor tank. There would be a 3/4 vent line to the tops of this tank and factory tank. then a 1.%" like from bottom of factory tank (or side to the bottom) to the bottom of the aux tank, that way it would fill both tanks at fill up, sending unit would work correct, and draw from both tanks. Another thought was using a dual tank setup like on the cab and chassis, or a pump to pump from aux to main tank...

The tank I came up with hides behind bumper and is not seen (on a LMM anyway) It could drop down lower for more capacity, but it will be seen.

Price, I could figure up this week. Not too bad for an alum tank. Prolly between 300-400 bucks depending on size (but dont quote me on that yet....

Weight is prolly around 30 lbs depending on size again. Many of my in bed fuel tanks are 30-50 gallon in size and weigh 30-50lbs actually lol.

Shipping thru UPS/FedEx is around 60 bucks for something that size...

EDIT: mounting is an option I havent tried other ways. To frame would be easy and thats where I left off on it....

Mike it would probably look similar to the fuel cell i had built on Abby, No?

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
i have seen the rear tank on sub/tahoe's that TDIguy has done duramax conversions to. he had pictures of chassis in write up last year, think it was part of his towpro.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
Do you already have something like a Titan tank? That would be 75+ gallons of fuel.......

That's like a mortgage payment a fill up:(

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
About the exhaust...I never factored that in as I have a stack when I was doing my measuring lol I would have to take another peek, but I think it will be just fine. also the fact that using aluminum over a poly tank wouldn't matter too much....Also the exhaust is not different on the cab and chassis models is it??

Do you already have something like a Titan tank? That would be 75+ gallons of fuel.......

That's like a mortgage payment a fill up:(

this guy puts prolly a 1:3 ratio more miles on his truck than most lol.