Diagnosing shake at idle (not fpr)

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Generally air in the lines will cause issues building rail pressure, and if bad enough can effect the idle. If there is that much air, it shouldn't drive well at all, it would fall on its face when you gave it throttle on the road.

Fixing the lines is a good idea regardless. But I don't think that's the main issue causing this. You'll find out, I suppose.

I think you’re right, I was just curious. It does seem to run well on the freeway and streets, it feels like it pulls as strong as a stock truck should.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Just wanted to update the thread for potential future search’s ...

When I did my clutch and put the new trans in, the stock DMF was garbage. The flywheel was probably 1/4” out of round on the pilot bearing.
With the new southbend SMF the shake is gone.

However, I do have a really audibly lopey idle now. I haven’t fully finished the trans/TransferCase install, and I don’t have an exhaust hooked up. Just dumping out the down pipe. I’ve only driven it around the block 2-3 times in the past 4-5mo.
But at idle it sounds like one of those dumb lope tunes or a 12v doing a freezing cold start. The truck doesn’t shake, and it’s not as violent as when the FPR was bad. I replaced the FPR with a genuine Bosch.

Is it just because I’m dumping straight out the down pipe, or did my FPR go bad from sitting somehow? I’d like to get some data logging going, but don’t have anything yet. I was looking at the Banks iDash 1.8 and like the price point and features. But it looks like it won’t work on an LB7 without their tuning as well. I liked my CTS2 when I had my LBZ as well. Any other good options?