LML DEF tank delete

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Bully Dog does make a delete tuner but only available in Canada (so it is said), I have had success with them before. This one works fine too except the urea pump is still powered up.
I am sure there are other tuners that put out more power, not interested in that. I had a NOX sensor fail and up here they are $400 a piece, so it seemed like the time to delete as warranty is done anyways.
The stock LML has more than enough power for my towing needs. I don't need or want to "roll coal", I want to get better economy and improve reliability by shutting down the EGR which bully dog does electronically. I need to be able to go back to stock for emissions testing so I can do that with BD. Some shops up here that do the tuning don't give you any way to revert to stock. I want to leave most equipment in place. To retest now I just have to fix sensor and install old exhaust.
So to repeat my question, is there a dedicated def pump fuse (perhaps unlabeled)?
Thanks

How many miles are on the truck?

creole

Oct 3, 2016
250 000km so about 130 k miles. 2011 Denali. I tow a 30' boat, 24' camper, landscape and motorcycle trailers
Did the intake when purchased as didn't affect warranty.
Love the truck!

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
2011 LML GMC
I just installed a bully dog tuner and new race exhaust. I removed all the old exhaust system but left DEF tank in place. Everything is working fine except on first start up it immediately pumped all the def out and now pump is running dry. I could unplug pump but it is a real pain to get to. I may have to reinstall old system at some point so don't want to burn out pump and seemed easiest to leave in place.
Anyone know which fuse will kill the DEF pump?
Called Bully Dog tech and a teenager who knew nothing was no help... "um, maybe find a fuse???" Yes, but which fuse? "um, maybe google it?
Google was no help!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nice to have CEL and low quality DEF lights all out now!
Just so you know those tanks can only sit like 24 hours then the pump is junk. Too a brand new one off mine when they did it under warranty probabalt a month before I took it all off. We went to put it on another truck an was throwing tank heater codes. Just what was explained by a dealer though.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
My tank was also empty forgot to mention that as I had to ship it to a friends brother. When the urea started crystallizing that's what took it out.

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
You have to unplug the harness to stop the fluid from flowing.

The main UREA harness MUST be unplugged. The main UREA harness is the large black harness located near the UREA injector and above the UREA fluid tank. Flip the large gray locking tab to disconnect the harness. At this point you may also remove the entire UREA tank from the truck. This is recommended but NOT necessary.

LML
Oct 14, 2016
I have a 2016 Duramax, I have to add DEF every 2500 miles, with the miles I drive I'm going to be putting it in all of the time. I know if I remove, it will void the factory warranty. Can I delete this now & keep all the parts & if it needs any work done at a dealership I can put it all back on & can I keep the factory ECM settings?

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I have a 2016 Duramax, I have to add DEF every 2500 miles, with the miles I drive I'm going to be putting it in all of the time. I know if I remove, it will void the factory warranty. Can I delete this now & keep all the parts & if it needs any work done at a dealership I can put it all back on & can I keep the factory ECM settings?

I don't know how many miles you drive, but let's just say you drive 40K miles a year based on your "with the miles I drive" comment. That would mean you would be filling the DEF tank just over once a month. Is it really that big of a deal? $16 and not even 5 minutes of your time a month.

Also, I have to ask, what kind of weight are you towing to only get 2500 miles out of 5.3 gallons of DEF fluid?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

No. Computer records everything. But some dealers are nicer then others.....

LML
Oct 14, 2016
& on the way home from work it was within 100 miles of needing DEF, so then it tells you your speed is limited...:rolleyes:

LML
Oct 14, 2016
I don't know how many miles you drive, but let's just say you drive 40K miles a year based on your "with the miles I drive" comment. That would mean you would be filling the DEF tank just over once a month. Is it really that big of a deal? $16 and not even 5 minutes of your time a month.

Also, I have to ask, what kind of weight are you towing to only get 2500 miles out of 5.3 gallons of DEF fluid?

I haven't towed anything since I've owned the truck.
Maybe the dealership only had it half full when I bought the truck new...:mad:

Suppose to get an avg. of 5000 miles on a tank of DEF

wrc7732

Jan 31, 2017
I haven't towed anything since I've owned the truck.
Maybe the dealership only had it half full when I bought the truck new...:mad:

Suppose to get an avg. of 5000 miles on a tank of DEF

Should be getting much better than that. If all you're doing is putting one 2.5 gallon jug in each time it tells you it's time then you're only filling it half way but one is enough to reset the warning and place the gauge to exhaust fluid OK. It'll take 5 gallons when you get into the 100's of miles left. I put one in mine as soon as the warning shifts from Exhaust fluid 'okay' to it being needed in however many miles. And keep an unopened one in the garage. I order them two at a time from Amazon. I get about 7k miles between full and warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk