Help: Decisions decisions.

Jcsuddarth

Jan 21, 2014
Hey guys, my name is Jordan. Just to tell a little about myself is I'm 23 with a wife and little girl. The reason I haven't filled out my profile yet is because I don't have a truck yet, which is why I'm calling on you guys. First off, I've been doing research via google, so I've seen a lot of different forums in the past couple of weeks. I chose to register with you guys because you all seem to be really helpful for other people with questions, and not making them look completely dumb. I've never owned a diesel, never had a reason to. I've worked in construction with my step dad for years, and now his business is to a point where he needs somebody besides him to be able to do material drops and pull dump trailers and all that good stuff, so I'm in the market. I can't afford to go out and buy a new truck, and I have found several good deals and from what I've read I want a lb7 or lbz. I'm not looking for mad power, smoke, or anything like that. Just to be blunt, I need a dependable truck that's not going to be a money pit. This is a big opportunity for me to make a lot more money, so naturally I don't wanna spend all my extra cash just so I can keep working. My brother in law has a cummins, and my step dad has a powerstroke, so it only makes sense that I get a duramax. I would just like some opinions on what models to kinda steer toward. Thanks in advance fellas.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I would have to vote for LBZ as well for all around reilebalitly of the truck, engine, and transmission. Maintenance will play a big part of how long it will last. Where are you located and what cab/ rear end configuration are you looking for?

Jcsuddarth

Jan 21, 2014
I'm in Lafayette, TN. And I haven't really thought about rear end configurations yet. It's still going to be at least a month before I buy anything, I just like to do all my research before I buy. Except for the weekends there will probably be a trailer hooked to it the majority of the time so if you have any suggestions on the rear end I'm all ears. This is going to be a learning experience for me, I just don't want to learn two months after buying that I should've gotten something else. I've driven dodges, fords, and Chevys. I'm just going off my friends experiences with their diesels and the problems they've had, and that's why in going with a dmax. And thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

werewolf

Apr 27, 2012
eastern Noth Carolina
Heres at bread from another site that has some really great information o. The basics of each platform.
www.duramaxforum.com/forum/general-discussion/318834-general-duramax-information.html
I'd stick to an lbz if at all possible bc they seem to have fewer problems than the previous years. Of course maintenance plays a bigger role in it all and not going crazy on extra power. Take a look at that thread and I think you'll find the info your looking for

dirtyduramax05

4 doors for more whores
Nov 23, 2013
myrtle beach sc
i would go with a lly or lbz i would stay away from lb7 they are good motor but they are known to injector problems now i would go with the lbz simplie because of the tranny it has a 6 speed vers 5 speed which is alot better and nice not saying any thing bad about a 5 speed cuz thats what i have but it will pull easier on the whole truck and u will get a lil better fuel mileage depending on ur set up i would also get a lift pump an exhaust and a efi live tune maybe just a dsp2 with a mild tune and a tow tune with the turbo break to help with pulling and fuel mileage and u will be happy

6.6LMM

6.6LMM
Jan 20, 2014
Murrieta, CA
Good day Jcsuddarth,

In addition to the previous responses, the LMM is also a well-rounded engine with no issues, to my knowledge. Now, let me share some experience attained from my father. He has owned several Powestrokes and a Duramaxs. He has a relativley large construction company and frequently pulls goosenecks and low boys loaded with rubber tire backhoes and some of his smaller heavy equipment.

From his experience, he says the Powerstroke is much better at towing than a Duramax. The Duramax is a much better ride, but that's it. He also added that you really can't tear up the Allison because it is considered a "Smart Transmission" and will shut down before it allows mechanical failure. This happened to us one time when we were pulling a rubbertire back hoe. The transmission shut down. We let it sit for about 30 minutes and got back on the road with no issues.

I'm a GM guy but from my father's experience and from what you are saying, a Powerstroke may be more suitable. Good luck.

dirtyduramax05

4 doors for more whores
Nov 23, 2013
myrtle beach sc
as far a 2500 or 3500 in a way u can tow just about as much with a 2500 the leaf packs are the only deff besides two more wheels but you can get a set of wide rims and tires and get the same thing out of them and will handle just as good i pull a two car trailer loaded with no problem

dirtyduramax05

4 doors for more whores
Nov 23, 2013
myrtle beach sc
Good day Jcsuddarth,

In addition to the previous responses, the LMM is also a well-rounded engine with no issues, to my knowledge. Now, let me share some experience attained from my father. He has owned several Powestrokes and a Duramaxs. He has a relativley large construction company and frequently pulls goosenecks and low boys loaded with rubber tire backhoes and some of his smaller heavy equipment.

From his experience, he says the Powerstroke is much better at towing than a Duramax. The Duramax is a much better ride, but that's it. He also added that you really can't tear up the Allison because it is considered a "Smart Transmission" and will shut down before it allows mechanical failure. This happened to us one time when we were pulling a rubbertire back hoe. The transmission shut down. We let it sit for about 30 minutes and got back on the road with no issues.

I'm a GM guy but from my father's experience and from what you are saying, a Powerstroke may be more suitable. Good luck.

if you do get a ford i would get a 7.3 or a new 6.7 6.0 and 6.4 are junk we have had both in are tow trucks and both have blown and left us on the side of the road

Jcsuddarth

Jan 21, 2014
I've looked into powerstroke, the only motor from them I would own is the 7.3. My cousin is a diesel mechanic for some drilling company and their 6.0 and 6.4's blow turbos and injectors all the time. I guess the biggest thing for me would be pulling power to mpg ratio. Do any of you guys know what a 7.3 gets under load?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Nothing wrong with an LLY either and then you won't have the injector issues of a LB7 and cheaper then a LBZ

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
LBZ will provide the most truck for the money. My LLY has performed flawlessly for me, but the 6 speed and proven head gaskets are preferred. If you don't mind the length, look for a longbed, you can usually get a better deal on one as they are not as desirable as the sb. LB7 is a good motor if the injectors have been properly done, but it's hard to find one below 250,000 miles.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Whoever says Ford's tow better is smoking something good! Nothing beats the tow/haul downshift strategies of an Allison, and worlds more reliable drivetrain even if u have a lemon of a dmax. And if u think a 7.3 is good, thats about where it ends. They may run for longtime but slow, loud, and old and rusty at this point. Theire autos are absolutely terrible for towing, too.

Jcsuddarth

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the input. I've owned all three ford, dodge, and chevy... But all were gas. I know I like my step dad's f-250, I also know the amount of $$$ he puts in it to keep it going too. And I like my brother in law's cummins, I just like the ride and reliability that comes with a GM product. If I can swing it I've got my eye in an 07 dmax all stock except for the wheels, so hopefully soon that's what I'll be driving.